Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a possible benefit of F-1 student status. Optional Practical Training (OPT) may be available to F-1 students after completing one year of full-time enrollment at a U.S. college or university in the academic year immediately preceding OPT. Students may request up to one year of OPT per educational level (ex: one bachelors = one educational level, two master's degrees = one educational level).
Summer 2015 graduates
Earliest date to request OPT I-20 from ISSO: May 8, 2015
USCIS must receive application on or before: Oct 7, 2015
Fall 2015 graduates
Earliest date to request OPT I-20 from ISSO: Sep 18, 2015
USCIS must receive application on or before: Feb 15, 2016
- Post Completion OPT Guide
- OPT workshop dates
- OPT workshop presentation slides
- OPT Reporting Resources
- ISSO forms
- Pre-Completion OPT - part-time work while continuing as a full-time student.
- Coursework Completion OPT - part-time or full-time work for students who are working on a thesis or dissertation.
- Post-Completion OPT - full-time work after graduation.
- H-1B Cap Gap Relief - between OPT and H-1B.
- 17-Month OPT Extension - One-time OPT extension for students in certain degrees.