Traveling Inside the US

You do not need special papers to travel from state to state or to U.S. territories but you must always carry your immigration documents. This is particularly true while traveling through states along the Mexico or Canada borders. You could be stopped by immigration officers at any time and told to produce the following:

  • Valid, unexpired passport (expiration date at least six months into the future)
  • Valid, unexpired I-20
  • I-94
  • U.S. visa (expired or unexpired, unless you are a participant in the Visa Waiver Program)

Non-contiguous US States and Territories

If you are already legally in the U.S., you do not need a visa to visit Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. You do need to take your immigration documents.

Driving in the US

Visit the Driving in the U.S. webpage for more information.

Related Topics