McDermott Library Stepping Up Precautions in Response to Coronavirus
Effective Wednesday, March 18, we will be closed until further notice.
All online services are available. More information coming soon.
In an effort to serve our community while ensuring the health and safety of our staff we will be running limited hours until further notice.
Monday – Friday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
As the world faces a challenging public health situation with the spread of Coronavirus, the Eugene McDermott Library is taking precautionary steps to protect the safety of staff members and patrons.
Things are changing rapidly, so this list could change as well. But as of Friday, March 13, the library has taken the following actions:
- All library events that were scheduled in the near future (such as coffees, tours, library game night, library readings, Faculty Author Reception) have been cancelled or postponed until fall.
- Patrons are advised to use hand sanitizer, which is located at the Information Desk in the lobby.
- Patrons are encouraged to respect social distances. Social distancing means remaining out of congregate settings, avoiding mass gatherings and maintaining distance from others when possible. In an effort to socially distance patrons, the library has removed chairs from study tables in all study areas in the building to implement the recommended five-foot space between students.
- Commonly touched surfaces, such as tables, chairs and desks have been deep cleaned.
- Interlibrary Loan is offering e-delivery to undergraduates. Usually this service is for faculty and graduate students only.
- The Richardson Room (3.544), the library’s largest study room, has been closed.
- Library staff are wearing gloves to protect themselves and patrons.
Although UT Dallas is transitioning to online delivery of classes through the spring semester, the University and the library are scheduled to have regular hours through Spring Break and beyond. During this time, the library encourages customers to use the many remote services available as much as possible. Most resources are accessible electronically through Discover the library online system and library staff members are available to help users navigate search and other remote tools to access materials and services through our chat service which can be found in the blue button located on the right side of our website.
To help students who are not comfortable as distance learners, the library has developed the following guide to distance education.
Stay updated about the latest coronavirus news by checking utdallas.edu/coronavirus the University’s dedicated page that is revised regularly. For health and safety guidelines, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.