Certificate of Diversity and Inclusion
In partnership with the International Center, Multicultural Center, and Galerstein Gender Center, the Living Learning Communities developed the Certificate of Diversity and Inclusion. Our goal is to help students understand the basic building blocks of diversity and inclusion; foster a campus culture of acceptance; and highlight university resources that will aid in these processes.
Requirements to Participate
- All students must complete Diversity 101 training plus attend 5 hours of diversity and inclusion programs sponsored by UT Dallas to be awarded a certificate.
- Students are required to attend at least 2 different types of events spanning a total of at least 5 hours.
- Students are required to document their event attendance by completing a submission form.
- Students must complete these requirements in one semester. The certificate can be completed in either the fall or the spring semester.
You can complete Diversity 101 by fulfilling one of the following three options:
- Attend a diversity lecture in your 1100 course. The LLC Department will verify your attendance with the course instructor.
- Attend the LLC Certificate of Diversity and Inclusion Launch Party at the beginning of the semester (date and time TBD).
- Request to complete a self-study of the Diversity 101 module. The LLC Department will email a copy of the presentation to you. Upon completion of the module, you will take a brief quiz to demonstrate your understanding of the material.
Five Hours of Program Attendance
Students must attend two different types of events/programs spanning a total of five hours. The LLC hosts monthly diversity events which count towards these hours.
Types of programs include:
- Celebratory events such as Tea Tuesdays at the Galerstein Gender Center or the Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Breakfast hosted annually by the Multicultural Center. Typically these events have a minimal time commitment and do not require a great deal of interaction.
- Interactive/Service events such as iEngage and English Conversation Hours hosted by the International Center. These events typically require direct involvement and interaction with diverse populations.
- Advanced Topics such as Safe Zone Ally Training offered by the Galerstein Gender Center and Diversity Dialogues hosted by the Multicultural Center. These events usually require a multi-hour time commitment and often result in a certification.
For more information regarding events, please visit the following university websites:
- Ackerman Center for Holocaust Studies
- Asia Center
- Comet Calendar
- Confucius Institute
- Galerstein Gender Center
- International Center
- Multicultural Center
- Office of Diversity and Community Engagement
- Office of Student Volunteerism
- Veteran Services Center
For questions regarding qualified events, please email us directly at [email protected] or call our office at 972.883.7430.
How to Log Your Events
All participants must log their event hours using the submission form.
For assistance with logging your hours, please contact the LLC office at [email protected] or 972.883.7430.
- Students who complete the CDI may be invited to participate in the CDI leader program.
- Students selected for this program will have the opportunity to help develop and facilitate diversity events.
- For more information regarding the CDI Leader Program, please email [email protected] or call 972.883.7430.