Comets Esports Announces 4th Game, Tryouts this Month
The UT Dallas esports program announced the addition of a fourth game this month, Rocket League.
Developed and published by Psyonix, Rocket League has been described as “soccer, but with rocket-powered cars.” Players use the vehicles to hit a ball into their opponent’s goal and score points in a way that resembles a soccer match.
The team will officially begin competing in the spring.
UT Dallas launched its esports program in fall 2018, making it one of the few universities in Texas to offer esports — competitive video gaming — as part of its athletics department. Varsity teams currently compete in League of Legends, Overwatch and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Esports director and coach Greg Adler said the program considers adding a game based on how popular it is in the collegiate competitive scene, how many area tournaments are available, and the skill level of UT Dallas students.
“We are very excited and happy to finally announce Rocket League,” Adler said. “After surveying students across campus, this was by far the highest voted-upon game that we did not already support, and the amount of attention around it has been fantastic.”
Tryouts for the UT Dallas Rocket League team will be held online at 7 p.m. each day Oct. 28 through Oct. 30 and Nov. 1. Interested students should join the program’s Discord for more information.
- Currently enrolled as a full-time UT Dallas student.
- Currently ranked champion or higher in Rocket League.
- Level headed.
- Good communicator.
The program also is looking for student analysts with:
- A high level of understanding of Rocket League.
- Experience coaching or experience in competitive play.
- Videos of their coaching/match review (optional).
The UT Dallas esports program had a stellar inaugural season and earned the University its first athletics national championship in August. Looking for more esports coverage?
- YouTube series
- UT Dallas Magazine
- September 2019: Ultimate Victory: Esports Team Wins Super Smash Bros. National Title
- June 2019: University’s Esports Program Makes Name for Itself in First Season
- March 2019: UT Dallas Esports Adds Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Team
- January 2019: Esports ‘Legends’ Team Enters Spring Ranked No. 8 in ESPN Poll
- September 2018: UT Dallas Gets in New Game with Launch of Comet Esports Program