Eating Well During Fair Season
Fairs, including the State Fair of Texas, traditionally offer carnival rides, crafts, live music and plenty of novelty food. Despite the allure of corny dogs, cotton candy, tacos and deep-fried dishes, a visit to the fair doesn’t have to crash your healthy eating plan.
Taylor Tran, a registered dietitian and employee health program manager at UT Dallas, has some tips to stay on track with healthy eating while enjoying your time at the fair.
- Don’t go hungry. Curb cravings and avoid overeating by having a meal or snack in advance.
- Share with others. Try multiple items without going overboard by splitting dishes with your friends or family.
- Indulge a little. Specialty foods are part of the fair’s appeal, so don’t deprive yourself. Just be mindful of portion sizes.
- Be accountable. Know what you are eating and make healthy choices when you can. It’s not the end of the world if you eat horribly one day.
- Stay active and enjoy other activities. Visit the livestock and crafts buildings. Enjoy a concert or take in the midway rides. There’s more than food at the fair!
“It’s OK to enjoy the fair and try a few food items, but focus on sharing happy memories and fun activities with your family and friends,” Tran said.