McDermott Application Process
Student Applicants – steps to get started
The application for the 2020 class of McDermott Scholars is now available. Apply here!
- Make sure you meet the minimum qualifications.
- Review and note important dates and deadlines.
- Begin the application process by setting up an online account.
- Input three recommenders - include name, recommender type, and email address.
- After logging into the online application, the recommendation link can be found on the left-side navigation labeled “McDermott Scholars Recommendations.”
- Three online recommendations must be submitted including one counselor and two other recommenders. See below for more recommendation information.
- Mail your transcript only if your counselor is unable to upload one via their online recommendation; the transcript will need to be sent to the McDermott Scholars office. See below for more transcript information.
- Complete and submit all parts of the McDermott student application.
- We encourage you to submit your student application even if all recommendations and transcript are not yet processed.
- Complete the UT Dallas application process before Sunday, December 1, 2019.
- Note: The McDermott Scholars Program application and UT Dallas’ Office of Admission and Enrollment do not share transcripts or other documents. Each application process is independent from the other. ApplyTexas (Texas Common Application) materials are not considered as part of the McDermott Scholars Program process.
- A completed McDermott application includes:
- A submitted student application,
- Three online recommender forms, and
- A high school transcript.
- Required fields within the application are marked with an asterisk.
- All answers should be provided in English and basic letters and numbers. We cannot process foreign languages and symbols.
- As you complete each section of the application, be sure to save your work before moving on to the next section. You may want to consider typing the essays in a word processor and then copying them into the 1000 max character boxes.
- Proofread to portray yourself in the best possible light.
- Applicants can update their higher SAT/ACT scores after application submission.
- We DO super score (SS) SATs.
- We DO NOT super score (SS) ACTs.
- All applicants have the option to upload a resume and personal portrait photo and provide a link to a self-introduction video.
- All materials submitted toward an application file become the property of The Eugene McDermott Scholars Program and will not be returned to the applicant.
- If you have technical issues with the online application, click the “Technical Support” button within the online application located at the top of each page.
- All recommenders must submit electronically via our online form. This means that all recommenders will need access to email and internet.
- One recommender must be your high school counselor. The other two should be individuals who can speak about your unique qualities including your academic performance, intellect, extracurricular undertakings particularly in leadership and volunteer service, and/or personal character.
- At the bottom of the “Add A McDermott Recommendation Provider” page, you have the option to include a personal note to your recommender in the textbox. You may use this space to ask your recommender to speak to your unique qualities and include which deadline you plan to meet.
- It is important that you select recommenders carefully. We rely on their input to enhance our understanding of each candidate.
- Applicants must communicate clearly with these individuals about the importance of their recommendations and allow them sufficient time to complete their recommendations thoroughly.
- Submit your McDermott student application regardless of the status of your recommendations and transcript as they may arrive at various times.
Recommendations – additional information
- After you input three recommenders, each will be sent an email with "[Name of Applicant]’s Request for a Recommendation" in the subject line. This email will notify them to fill out their recommendation form.
- Make sure to follow up with your recommenders to see if they have received the email from the application system.
- All recommenders have the option to upload a letter with their online form. Letters are not required.
- High school counselors will be asked to upload the applicant’s high school transcript and school profile to their recommendation. A school profile is helpful but not required.
High School Transcript
- If counselors are unable to upload a transcript, it is the applicant’s responsibility to send an official high school transcript to the McDermott Scholars Program office:
The Eugene McDermott Scholars Program
The University of Texas at Dallas
800 W. Campbell Road MC17
Richardson, TX 75080
- The transcript you send to the McDermott Scholars Program will be in addition to any transcript sent for the UT Dallas application.
- Please allow up to 2 weeks for processing.
After You Submit
- Check your email and online accounts frequently. You will be informed when a recommender has submitted their recommendation.
- Follow up with your recommenders to ensure that they submit before your intended deadline.
- Check your account dashboard to make sure the office has received your transcript. Remember, it can take up to two weeks for our office to process any mailed transcripts.
- Visit us! The McDermott Program staff welcomes students and parents. Email or call our office to make an appointment. If you’re unable to come to campus, our staff would be delighted to visit with you via phone or email.
- The McDermott Scholars Program does not facilitate or offer information about any other scholarships, but we encourage you to find more information about other UT Dallas opportunities here.
- If you have additional questions about the McDermott Program, email the Program to schedule an in-person meeting, or sign up for a virtual Zoom meeting with members of the McDermott community.