Americans with Disabilities – Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, state and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation. It also mandates the establishment of TDD/telephone relay services. The current text of the ADA includes changes made by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, which became effective on January 1, 2009.

What is a disability?

The ADA defined a disability, with respect to an individual as: “a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual; (including walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself, or performing manual tasks), has a record of such an impairment, or being regarded as having such an impairment.”

What is an accommodation?

An accommodation is the modification, adjustment, or elimination of a barrier to a program or service that enables an individual with a disability to participate on an equal basis. For a student, this might be extended time for test taking; for others it could be sign language interpreting, work modifications, and event access. UT Dallas students, faculty, staff, visitors, and job applicants are all eligible to request a reasonable accommodation through the processes outlined on this website.

Where can I find accessible parking for visitors?

UT Dallas provides accessible parking spaces throughout the various parking lots. A state-issued handicap parking permit is necessary to park in designated spaces on UT Dallas property. The UT Dallas Visitor Center and University Bookstore (VCB) can provide you with details on obtaining a temporary permit at Visitor Information. For more information regarding accessible parking, please contact the Parking and Transportation Services office:

Where can disabled veterans park?

Campus visitors must obtain a one-day parking pass at the Visitor Center and University Bookstore (VCB); they can direct you to accessible parking. For students, faculty, or staff who need to purchase a parking pass and have a Texas special license plates (e.g., Disabled Veterans, Purple Heart), Tax Office receipts may be used for verification.

If accessible spaces are not available, anyone with Disabled Veterans, Purple Heart or state issued handicap plates/placards, that is registered with the University, can park in any available non-reserved parking space or parking meter at no additional cost.

For more information regarding accessible parking, please contact the Parking and Transportation Services office:

How can I get an accommodation for the job application process?

The University prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in all aspects of the application process and the employment relationship. You can obtain information concerning accommodation in the application process by contacting the ADA Coordinator at [email protected] or 972-883-5331.

How do I obtain the special software I need to do my job as a staff member?

The Employee Relations staff in the Office of Human Resources will be glad to work with you and your supervisor regarding an accommodation. The Accommodation Request Process for Employees Guide (PDF) will provide you with the details of the process.

What services does UT Dallas provide for students with disabilities?

Accommodations and services are provided for students with documented disabilities to provide equal access to educational programs and services in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (PDF), the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990), and UT Dallas policy. The Office of Student AccessAbility (OSA) (972-883-2098/SSB 3.200) facilitates the provision of services and accommodations for students. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis using the student’s disability documentation and in consultation with the student.

What can I do if I encounter an accessibility barrier on campus?

If your encounter a facility access barrier on campus, such as a malfunctioning elevator, broken automated door, or weather-related physical barrier, you can report it by  submitting a Report a Barrier Form to the ADA Coordinator.