Ride the Comet Cruiser (DART Route 883)
Description of Service
The University operates campus shuttle bus services to provide on- and off-campus transportation to students, faculty, staff, and visitors that is convenient, cost effective, and safe. Services are operated in cooperation with Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) and serve the local community.
Routes 883 provide transit service throughout the week connecting the University to the DART Light Rail system and local residential and shopping areas. Route and schedule information can be found on this webpage.All transit services operated by the University are free to all riders and open to the public.
No pass or identification of any sort is necessary. You can use the online DART Trip Planner to create personalized trip plans, customized schedules, and to find the DART stops nearest to your location.
How to Ride
Next go to the nearest bus stop to your origination. Make sure you are at an official DART bus stop displaying the proper route number. Note that times given on the bus schedule are the times at which the bus will leave the stop, make sure you arrive at the bus stop a few minutes before the next scheduled leave time. Buses run on official U.S. Government time. The bus will only pick you up if you are waiting at a designated DART bus stop. When the bus arrives please enter the bus through the front door only. Allow other passengers to get off before boarding. Sit anywhere you like. Generally, seats near the front door are reserved for elderly and mobility-impaired passengers. You may carry on baby strollers, carts, and other small items; just make sure they don't block the aisle.
If you need to access the bus by wheelchair, each bus is equipped with an automatic lift located at the front door. Please ask the driver for assistance with the lift. Guide dogs and other service animals are permitted on the bus. Buses are also equipped with bicycle racks. Please see Bicycle Commuter Information for details on how to travel with your bicycle.
Be seated, relax, and watch for your destination. If you are standing, stand behind the yellow line at the front of the bus and never stand or sit in the stairwells of the bus. En route, buses stop only at designated stops and only when a rider needs to board or get off the bus. Signal the driver that you want to get off at the next stop by pulling the cord installed just above the windows. Please pay attention so that you do not miss your stop because once the bus has pulled away from the stop the driver cannot stop again to let you off.
Exit through the front or rear doors. The operator will open the front door. Let the driver know if you need to exit through the rear door.
When you exit the bus check around for any belongings you brought with you. The University is not responsible for items left on the bus. After exiting the bus, walk behind the bus and always use a crosswalk to cross the street.
Service Animals Information
All DART buses and trains meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements, offering wheelchair lifts and other features to accomodate riders with disabilities.
Service animals are welcome on DART. No permit is required, but you may be asked to confirm that your animal is a service animal.
You are responsible for the care and supervision of your animal while on board. please follow these guidelines:
- Your animals must be on a leash or in a container and must remain under your control at all times.
- The animals must remain at your feet or on your lap. The animal may not sit on a vehicle seat.
- The animals must not be aggressive toward people or other animals.
- you are responsible for any damage or soiling caused by the animal.
Note: Non-service animals are allowed on DART vehicles when carried in an appropriate, securely latched cage or container.
Tips for Riding
- Print a route map and time schedule from this website.
- Decide which route you must take and determine the closest stop to you.
- Wait for the bus at a designated DART bus stop.
- Enter through the front doors.
- Bus does not stop at all stops unless requested.
- Buses only pick up and drop off passengers at designated stops. For safety reasons, buses cannot stop to pick up passengers after pulling away from the boarding area.
- Variations in traffic and passenger loading may delay scheduled bus departure times.
- Bus operators can delay their departures only when connecting vehicles are within sight.
- If your trip involves a transfer, please allow at least five minutes between scheduled vehicle arrival and departure times.
- You must be waiting at the stop.
- Keep your personal items in your area and do not block aisles. Please fold up strollers or stow them out of the way.
- You must let driver know you need off by pulling the signal cord.
- Please check the website frequently for updates or changes.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.