A special opportunity for UT Dallas undergraduate students to combine their coursework, volunteer service, and hands-on experience while advancing toward a certificate offered by Peace Corps.
The Peace Corps Prep Program identifies four core competencies that each undergraduate student needs to build before graduation.
Complete at least three courses that align to a specific work sector. Courses can, but do not need to, come from your academic major or minor. In addition, accumulate a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer or work experience in that same sector, preferably in teaching or outreach.
- Youth in Development
- Community Economic Development
Partake in three specific activities that will strengthen your candidacy for Peace Corps and other professional endeavors.
- Get your resume critiqued by the Career Center.
- Attend a workshop or class on interview skills presented by the Career Center.
- Develop at least one significant leadership experience (ex. serving on the executive board of a student organization, coordinating a campus-wide event), and be prepared to discuss it thoughtfully.
One Core Course + Two Electives Courses or Substantive Intercultural Experience (40 hours) Each intercultural experience lasting at least forty hours may substitute for one elective.
Deepen your cultural agility through a mix of course work and experiences (ex. study abroad, iFriend). Learn about others while reflecting on yourself in relation to others.
Foreign language skills are not required for the Peace Corps Prep Program, but are required for certain Peace Corps placement sites.
Require strong intermediate proficiency (at least two 2000-level courses).
Require intermediate proficiency in any romance language (at least one 2000-level course).
Students enrolled in the Peace Corps Prep Program will be better prepared to serve as Peace Corps volunteers in the future or to work in any other global setting that requires specific skills to excel as a professional.
To learn more about the Peace Corps please visit their website.
Please note completion of the Peace Corps Prep Program does not guarantee selection into the Peace Corps, but will strengthen a candidacy.
- Be a UT Dallas undergraduate student from any major in good standing.
Please note: U.S. citizenship is not required to apply for the Peace Corps Prep Program. However, U.S. citizenship is required to apply to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer after graduation.
- Attend a Peace Corps Prep Program Information Session.
- Check back for more session information.
- Review the Peace Corps Prep Program Student Guide.
- Define the work sector of interest to you.
Please note: If you are planning to serve in the Peace Corps in the future, make sure you structure your Prep Certificate to strengthen your skills depending on where you want to go and what you want to do. Please explore the Peace Corps’ interactive placement portal.
- Review the approved courses in the Student Guide for each work sector and talk to your academic advisor to discuss credit to complete the curriculum.
- Define your coursework and the activities required to build each competence during your academic time at UT Dallas. Fill out the application.
- Submit your application to the Intercultural Programs office by the deadline.
- If needed, contact us with questions.
Important Dates for Fall 2018 Applicants
Thank you for your interest in the Peace Corps Prep Program at UT Dallas. Fall 2018 information sessions and important application dates will be available soon. Email [email protected] to be added to the interest list.
Email or call Intercultural Programs at 972-883-4528 with questions about the Peace Corps Prep Program