Building Access

The eCAT online access request tool is used to gain access to UT Dallas buildings and rooms that require Comet Card access. Most building access requests are processed by the UT Dallas Police Department.

Questions about card access can be directed to [email protected]. Special event requests should be handled via the Special Event Registration Form. Door access should be granted within two business days of the receipt of the request. The eCAT door access request uses the same review and approval process as computer access and physical key requests. For questions about eCAT, please contact eCAT support via email.

The eCAT door access request process only applies to Comet Card readers. If routine access to any building or room is controlled by a standard brass key, key fob, transponder, or key pad, contact Facilities Management. Key fobs and transponders are used primarily to access AD 3.102 and the AD "mud slab," Center for BrainHealth, and Materials Accumulation Facility. Several departments manage doors with key pads. For access to those doors, contact the individual departments directly.

Department-Controlled Buildings

The Police Department controls Comet Card readers in many buildings, especially shared buildings. Access for some buildings and rooms is controlled by individual departments. Each department that handles its access directly is responsible for creating its own acces control process, regularly auditing access lists, maintaining access records, and informing the Police Department of any problems.

For ALL other buildings, eCAT requests should be sent to the UT Dallas Police Department (select "PD/Campus" in eCAT).

Required Information

The door access system contains a list of all enrolled students, employed faculty, employed staff, and holders of "Affiliate" Comet Cards. Students, faculty, and staff cannot be granted access to doors unless they are enrolled or actively employed (as provided by the Orion and Gemini PeopleSoft systems). New employees must be processed fully by the Budget, Human Resources, Payroll, and Data Management departments before they may have building access. Once access is granted, the system will automatically import a new card number for a replaced, lost, or broken card. A new form is not required when a new card has been issued.

Dates and Times

Each eCAT request must indicate whether this is a request for new access or a request to revoke existing access. For a new request, the "Effective Date" will be a START date for acess. For revoking access, the "Effective Date" will be used as an END date.

Each building or door request must also include allowable access times. Many users may request "24/7" access for all days and all times. Please indicate whether this person will need access on University holidays. Most buildings are locked and will not be accessible when the University is closed (holidays, intersession weekends, or emergency closures).