Applying to Professional Schools
HPAC offers support services in the months before your application. Since applications are highly competitive, students should take every advantage.
Health Professions Evaluation (HPE) and Clearinghouse Services
All UT Dallas applicants to professional schools receive:
- General Admissions Orientation - Introduces UT Dallas's HPE and Clearinghouse services, the application timeline, and MANY tips ranging from requesting rec letters to selecting a school. At a GAO, students register to receive application support from HPAC.
**Students must attend ONE of Orientation to participate in the HPE Process.**
Date Time Location Saturday, October 13, 2018 10am-12pm FN 2.102 Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5-6:30pm SOM 12.210 Friday, November 9, 2018 5-7pm SLC 1.102 Monday, November 12, 2018 5-7pm HH 2.402 Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:30-7pm FN 2.102
- Personal Statement Workshop - talks students through the goals and methods of effective personal statement writing, and offers tips from his years as an advisor, editor, and author. This interactive workshop relies on a prewrite (pdf) which takes about 1 hour to complete.
Date Time Location Saturday, October 13, 2018 12-2pm FN 2.102 Friday, October 19, 2018 3-5pm GR 2.302 Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9-11am SOM 2.112 Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7-9pm GR 2.302
- Interview Skills Workshop - introduces students to multiple interview formats and how to prepare, and offers tips from her years as an advisor, counselor, and interviewer.
Date Time Location Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:30-11:30am FO 2.208 Tuesday, January 15, 2019 5:30-6:30pm SLC 2.302 Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:30-6:30pm SLC 2.302 If you are unable to attend an in-person session, you may view the videos on e-Learning.
- Portrait Session - free businesslike portraits--first come, first served—to use for your applications to health professions schools. We recommend business dress such as you’d wear to an interview.
Date Time Location Friday, January 11, 2019 2-5 pm Founder’s Atrium Friday, January 18, 2019 2-5 pm Founder’s Atrium
- Application Seminar - Dr. Karen de Olivares, HPAC Director, introduces students to the TMDSAS, AMCAS, AACOMAS, and AADSAS applications, and offers application tips based on her extensive experience.
Date Time Location
- Document revision by a pre-health advisor, along with detailed tips and instructions for completing complex applications.
- Online tracking of letters of evaluation and documents as they arrive at HPAC (uses eLearning).
- Free distribution of recommendation letters through appropriate channels.
HPE forms can be found on the HPAC Forms and Handouts page.
Qualifying medical and dental applicants also receive
- Practice interviews with two UT Dallas faculty
- Thorough evaluation by committee and a "committee letter" - recommended by nearly all professional schools