Pre-Law Advising Center
The Pre-Law Advising Center remains dedicated to our students’ success and wellbeing.
In the interest of the health and safety of our campus community, we will be conducting all business via email and Microsoft Teams from March 16, 2020 until further notice. We are still available for virtual appointments so please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We can be reached at the following:
Dr. Kirby and Ashley can both be reached through Microsoft Teams as well.
If you have questions regarding pass/fail course options, please visit https://utdallas.edu/pre-law/credit-no-credit for frequently asked questions.
Please visit https://www.utdallas.edu/coronavirus for the most up-to-date university information.
|Join Mailing List||Contact Us|
We at the Pre-Law Advising Center are here to help you make informed decisions about your academic and personal preparation for law school and a legal career. Although Pre-Law is not a major and we cannot do your degree planning or register you for classes, we can offer guidance for pre-law students from your first year at UT Dallas, through the law school application process and on to your eventual matriculation to law school. Our services are available to all current UT Dallas students and alumni, and those students involved in the Comet Connection program.
The Pre-Law Advising Center offers a variety of services and programs tailored to your stage in the application process. We offer various workshops on topics of interest to pre-law students as well as speakers from throughout the legal practice spectrum, an Innocence Project seminar and three nationally-recognized advocacy programs. Additionally, we are always happy to meet with students for individual counseling sessions. Please see our contact information on the Contact Pre-Law Advising Center page.
Why Work With Our Office?
- Click here to see which law schools UTD students were accepted into during the 2018-2019 admissions cycle.
- 91% of the students who work with our office are accepted to law school. UTD students have been accepted at all of the Top 20 law schools in the United States and all of law schools in Texas. Our students also regularly receive substantial scholarship offers.
- Our office is available to all current UTD students and alumni.
How Can We Help?
Academic and Pre-professional Advising
- Discuss intellectual and personal interests to determine if law school is a good choice
- Recommend classes that can develop skills helpful for law school and legal practice. To register for classes, please visit the academic advisor in your major.
- Offer resources and information about the law school experience
- Advise you about LSAT preparation, timing of your test administration or retaking the test, if necessary
- Recommend extracurricular activities or internship opportunities that may enrich your undergraduate experience and inform your career choices
Law School Application Preparation
- Explain application procedures, including LSAT and CAS registration
- Help you devise an application strategy, including where to apply
- Help you narrow your choices and request letters of recommendation that will round out your application
- Advise applicants about compiling a cohesive, complete application
- Brainstorm ideas for personal statements and offer feedback
- Suggest addenda where appropriate
Assistance After Applying to Law School
- Advise students about how to communicate with law schools to get the information they need about their application and/or financial aid status
- Help with waitlist letters or letters of continued interest
- Advise students about evaluating multiple admissions and/or scholarship offers
- Help students navigate the financial aid process
- Advise unsuccessful applicants on a reapplication strategy