Pre-Law Advising and Resource Center at UT Dallas
We at the Pre-Law Advising and Resource Center are here to help you make informed decisions about your academic and personal preparation for law school and a legal career. Although Pre-Law is not a major and we cannot do your degree planning or register you for classes, we can offer guidance for pre-law students from your first year at UT Dallas, through the law school application process and on to your eventual matriculation to law school. Our services are available to all current UT Dallas students and alumni, and those students involved in the Comet Connection program. There are no requirements or registration involved to be a pre-law student at UT Dallas although we strongly encourage students to meet with us at least by the beginning of their junior year. We maintain an email list to keep our students informed of our activities and to pass along helpful information. If you would like to be on the list, please send an email to Margaret Swigert.
The Pre-Law Advising and Resource Center offers a variety of services and programs tailored to your stage in the application process. We offer various workshops on topics of interest to pre-law students as well as speakers from throughout the legal practice spectrum, an Innocence Project seminar and three nationally-recognized advocacy programs. Additionally, we are always happy to meet with students for individual counseling sessions. Please see our contact information on the Contact PLARC page.
Why Work With Our Office?
- 91% of the students who work with our office are accepted to law school. UTD students have been accepted at all of the Top 20 law schools in the United States and all of law schools in Texas. Our students also regularly receive substantial scholarship offers.
- Pre-law advisor with actual law school admissions experience to help you navigate the process and put together a competitive application. Most “professional” admissions consultants do not have this level of expertise.
- Office is available to all UT-Dallas students and alumni
How Can We Help?
Academic and Pre-professional Advising
- Discuss intellectual and personal interests to determine if law school is a good choice
- Recommend classes that can develop skills helpful for law school and legal practice. To register for classes, please visit the academic advisor in your major.
- Offer resources and information about the law school experience
- Advise you about LSAT preparation, timing of your test administration or retaking the test, if necessary
- Recommend extracurricular activities or internship opportunities that may enrich your undergraduate experience and inform your career choices
Law School Application Preparation
- Explain application procedures, including LSAT and CAS registration
- Help you devise an application strategy, including where to apply
- Help you narrow your choices and request letters of recommendation that will round out your application
- Advise applicants about compiling a cohesive, complete application
- Brainstorm ideas for personal statements and offer feedback
- Suggest addenda where appropriate
Assistance After Applying to Law School
- Advise students about how to communicate with law schools to get the information they need about their application and/or financial aid status
- Help with waitlist letters or letters of continued interest
- Advise students about evaluating multiple admissions and/or scholarship offers
- Help students navigate the financial aid process
- Advise unsuccessful applicants on a reapplication strategy