Per Texas Senate Bill no. 62
, beginning January 1, 2012, all entering Texas college students, under the age of 22, must receive a vaccination or booster (if the vaccination is five years old) against bacterial meningitis before enrollment.
Acceptable forms of the vaccination include Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (MenACWY
), Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccines (MCV
) or Meningococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine (MPSV4
). The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) notes the vaccination with the MenB
vaccine should not
replace the vaccination with MENACWY
. Therefore, it does not constitute as a replacement for the meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY
) and does not fulfill the vaccination requirement.
Before you can register for classes you must submit together:
The target deadline to submit your proof of immunization is 2 weeks prior to your orientation date.
Registration Deadlines: (Failure to receive the vaccination by the dates below will prevent you from enrolling for the term.)
The 2020 spring term vaccination deadline is January 3, 2020.
- A completed Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccine Requirement Form (PDF)
- Proof of immunization or the Affidavit for Exemption from Immunizations for Reasons of Conscience. Initiate your request to TDSHS well before your intended orientation date. It may take several weeks to receive your form during peak times. Only original copies of Affidavits are accepted.
The 2019 fall term vaccination deadline was August 9, 2019.
The 2019 summer term vaccination deadline was May 13, 2019.
The vaccination must be less than five years old (on the first day of class).
What is acceptable evidence of vaccination?
Documentation must be in English, state the name and other information sufficient to identify the individual who received the required vaccination, state the month, date and year the vaccine was administered.
- A statement provided by physician or other health care provider authorized by law to administer the vaccine. The statement must include the name, address, signature or stamp, state of licensure and license number of the physician or other healthcare provider who administered the required vaccination; or of the public health official who administered the vaccination.
- An official immunization record generated from the state or local health authority
- An official record received directly from a Texas school official, or a school official in another state.
Where do I submit the paperwork?
To submit the requirement form and supporting documents, follow the instructions below:
- Log in to galaxy.utdallas.edu
- Click on “Admissions Form Folder”https://cms.utdallas.edu/registrar/legislative-policies/vaccine/
- Click on “Meningitis Vaccine Submission”
- Enter your name, UTD ID and Date of Birth on the form
- Attach the form and supporting documents
- Verify the information
- Enter your netID
- Click “Submit” button
The other option is to mail it to the following address:
The University of Texas at Dallas
The Office of the Registrar, SSB13
800 West Campbell Rd
Richardson, TX 75080-3021
Do I have to get the meningitis vaccination?
About Bacterial Meningitis
Bacterial Meningitis is a serious, potentially deadly disease that can progress extremely fast. It is an inflammation of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. The bacterium that causes meningitis can also infect the blood. For more information, please review “What You Need to Know About Meningitis" (PDF).
Email: [email protected]