Student Travel Details
Request risk authorization, Students traveling individually on behalf of UT Dallas need to submit to International Risk and Safety at [email protected] the documents listed below. The International Oversight Committee will use the information to evaluate the travel request and determine authorization of risk.
- A copy of the ISOS Security Brief for the trip,
- An Explanation of Travel Letter, and
- A Detailed Itinerary.
1. Obtain an ISOS Security Brief for the trip, request a Risk and Safety Pre-Departure Trip Review to ISOS.
2. Write an Explanation of Activity Letter
Include your full name and UT Dallas e-mail at the top, do not exceed 1 – 3 single-spaced pages and address the following:
Carefully review risks and safety advice for your destination
- Learn about risks, and requirements for visa, passport, and vaccinations at your destination.
- Learn about health risks for travelers at your destination.
- Learn about road safety at your destination.
- Carefully read the ISOS Security Brief for risks and security advice.
- City, Country and dates of activity.
- Explain purpose and goals of the activity as related to UT Dallas (academic or business purpose).
- Provide compelling reason why this activity must take place at the location, despite current risks.
- Address any alternative opportunities available and why they were not chosen.
- Describe relevant experience (academic or UTD related) that has prepared you for the activity.
- Explain how this activity will advance: academic goals, impact coursework at UT Dallas, aid in the pursuit of degree, or benefit UT Dallas
- Clearly state if academic credit will be awarded.
Describe Safety preparedness
- Describe your level of familiarity with the proposed destination (including professional networks, family connections, language proficiency, etc.)
- Address the specific steps that will be taken to mitigate risk identified by the U.S. Department of State, the Center of Disease Control (CDC), and International SOS Security Brief.
- Describe any on-site organizational or institutional support that would help mitigate the concerns identified.
- Describe your plans for handling an emergency or crisis.
3. Write a Detailed Itinerary
- Include your full name and UT Dallas e-mail at the top and attach to the Explanation of Travel Letter.
- List dates and physical addresses of where you will be based, including accommodations. Include the Google Map “Short URL” for each.
- List cell and land phone number(s) where you can be reached. For land line, include name and location.
- Provide all land line phone numbers as if one were dialing from the U.S.
- Describe what mode of day-to-day transportation you will use. Including logistics for transportation from airport to lodging and from lodging back to airport.
- List proposed itinerary (we recommend you do not book travel prior to approval, however please list your potential flight information).
- Describe field trips or excursions to other locations outside the main area(s) in #1, include transportation modes.