Whenever you travel abroad on behalf of UT Dallas:
6 to 3 months prior to travel – learn about your destination
- Review country information for information on passport, visa and vaccination requirements, local laws, money matters, and health, safety and security. If not a U.S. citizen check directly with the country’s consulate in the U.S. for visa information.
- Monitor Travel Alerts and Warnings for safety and security risks.
- Monitor Travel Health Notices and health information for health and medical risks.
- Review ISOS medical and travel risk ratings.
- Review country road safety.
- Request a trip review to obtain tailored safety and security advise for your trip.
- Determine if your destination requires risk authorization, and request it if needed.
6 to 4 weeks prior to travel – set up your safety net
- Obtain travel authorization. Follow the student or faculty/staff process.
- Register your trip itinerary in ISOS.
- Follow guidelines if traveling with UTD-owned devices or equipment.
- Follow export control regulations.
- Review your International Travel Insurance benefits.
- If an international student, check what you will need to re-enter the U.S.
- Develop a Personal Emergency Action Plan. Use this PEAP template or create your own.
- Review the Traveler toolkit for safety and security tips, and risk mitigation resources.
2 weeks prior to travel – get ready
- Pack Smart. Take copies of key documents, check for prohibited items, and pack a health kit.
During your trip
After your trip
- Check common health issues travelers might experience after returning home.
- If you feel sick, visit your doctor and let them know about your trip.