Staff Council sponsors scholarships to support staff members pursuing academic and vocational programs. In addition to Staff Council fundraising activities, two endowed scholarships provide funding for UTD staff scholarships:
The UTD Staff Council Endowed Scholarship which was established in 2006 by Staff Council fundraising activities and matching funds from UT Dallas.
The Joellyn (Jody) Nelson Staff Council Endowed Scholarship which was established in 2008 in honor of Jody Nelson, a founding member of Staff Council who served UT Dallas for 17 years.
The Richard M. Dempsey Staff Endowed Scholarship which was established in 2019 in honor of Mr. Rick Dempsey and his 12 years of service in the Office of Facilities Management.
All staff members who meet the following criteria may apply:
- Attending US-based community colleges, universities or accredited vocational schools
- Minimum of six months of employment at UT Dallas
- Benefits Eligible (50 percent or more) — Graduate Assistants are not eligible.
- Maintain an overall GPA as follows:
- 2.5 GPA – Undergraduate
- 3.0 GPA – Graduate
- Complete official application by stated deadline
Rick Dempsey Scholarship criteria:
- Attending UT Dallas
- Among equally qualified applicants, preference will be given to a staff member(s) who is employed in the UT Dallas Office of Facilities Management.
- Attending UT Dallas
- Among equally qualified applicants, preference will be given to a staff member(s) who has served in the U.S. Armed Forces and received an honorable discharge or separation, or a staff member who is currently serving in the U.S. military (Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve).
The scholarship application for Spring 2021 is open now.
- Fall Semester: October 1, 2021
- Spring Semester: March 1, 2021
Apply for Staff Scholarship
- UTD Staff Scholarships in the amount of $300 are awarded per recipient, per semester.
- Members of the Benefits Committee will serve as the Scholarship Committee. The Benefits Committee Chair will act as a coordinator and will not be a voting member of the Scholarship Committee. Staff Council members and Benefits Committee members cannot participate in the award process if they are an applicant.
- All applicants will have an assigned number to ensure anonymity. See sample scoring sheet.
- Applications are evaluated based on criteria that include: Activities, Awards, Honors, Service, and an essay response. See a sample application.
- Applicants will be notified if selected for a scholarship. Recipients must present an official transcript to the committee as proof of fulfilling all required criteria. The transcript is due within 10 working days of award notification.
- Staff Council will disburse funds in a timely manner following award notification.
- View the Timeline for the scholarship process.
View Past Scholarship Recipients