Home >> Academic Policies and Procedures >> Grades

Academic Grievances

Academic Progress



Change of Address, Email or Name

Classification of Students

Correspondence - Email


Course Load

Course Numbering System

Course Offerings

Credit/No Credit Classes

Repeating Course Work


Credit by Examination

Criminal Background Check

Dean's List

Degree Plans


Grade Point Average (GPA)

Grade Changes

Grading Scale

Incomplete Grades

Mid-Term Grades

Graduate Courses






Independent Study

International Education

Internship/Cooperative Education


Change of Major

Declaring a Major

Military Service Activation


Concurrent Enrollment

Dates for Registration


In Absentia Registration

Non-Academic Drops

Readmission of Former Students

Visiting U.T. System Students

Withdrawal From the University

Religious Holy Days

Scholastic Probation

Scholastic Suspension


Transfer Credit

Military Training as Credit


Academic Policies and Procedures


Grade Point Average

Grade points are computed by multiplying the points for each grade by the number of credit hours; for example, 4.00 (A) x 3 (hours) = 12 grade points. A student's grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of semester hours for which a grade other than I, NC, or CR is received.

NOTE: Only grades earned at The University of Texas at Dallas are used in calculating the student's GPA.

An undergraduate student is limited to three grade-bearing enrollment attempts for any specific class. With regard to repeats, the grade from the first repeat will substitute for the original grade to determine a student's grade point average and to satisfy degree requirements. A second repeat will result in both repeats being averaged when computing the student's cumulative grade point average. (See "Repeating Course Work," for additional information).

Grade Changes

Faculty Initiative

After a final grade has been recorded by the Registrar, faculty may change grades only to correct a clerical error or replace a grade of "incomplete". A faculty initiated change of a final grade requires the written approval of the instructor, the department or program head or School ADU, and the Undergraduate Dean. Such grade changes must be submitted by the end of the eighth week of the following long semester after the grade was awarded.

Student Request

A student has the right to request a review of the grades received in any class.

Students must petition for a grade review by the end of the eighth week of the following long semester after the grade was received. The request must be submitted in writing to the appropriate faculty member who then has the remainder of that semester to take action (See also "Academic Appeals" in Appendix I).

Grading Scale

UT Dallas adopted the following grade scale for all undergraduate students effective fall 2000. Grades for courses completed prior to fall 2000 accrue point values as shown in the appropriate catalog.

Grade Description Grade Points
per Semester Hour
A Excellent
B Good
C Fair
D Poor
F Failure
I Incomplete
W Withdrawn
WP Withdrawn Passing
WF Withdrawn Failing


Incomplete Grades (I)

A grade of Incomplete may be given, at the discretion of the instructor of record for a course, when a student has completed at least 70% of the required course material but cannot complete all requirements by the end of the semester. An incomplete course grade (grade of I) must be completed within the time period specified by the instructor, not to exceed eight weeks from the first day of the subsequent long semester.

Upon completion of the required work, the symbol I may be converted into a letter grade (A through F) by the instructor. If the grade of Incomplete is not removed by the end of the specified period, it will automatically be changed to F.

Extension beyond the specified limit can be made only with the permission of the instructor, the student's Associate Dean and the Undergraduate Dean. A student may not re-enroll in a course in which a grade of I remains.

Students may obtain a petition/documentation form for an Incomplete in the office of the student's Undergraduate Associate Dean. The form is to be submitted to the instructor from whom the Incomplete is sought. If a significant fraction of a semester is missed with cause, see the section on "Dropping or Adding Courses".

An instructor assigning an Incomplete must submit the petition/documentation form containing a description of the work required to complete the course to the Undergraduate Associate Dean of the school offering the course. Upon approval, a copy of the petition will be forwarded to the student's Undergraduate Associate Dean to be retained with the student's academic record. The instructor alone will be responsible for determining whether the requirements for completion are met and for assigning the grade in the course.

However, if the instructor who has signed the Incomplete is no longer associated with UT Dallas and the work is completed within the time allowed before the Incomplete lapses to an F, the Associate Dean of the instructor's college may assign a committee of appropriate faculty to evaluate the material and/or obtain any other information which may be required to assign the grade in the course.

Mid-Term Grades

Students are issued mid-term grades to apprise them of their progress within the semester. These grades are not a part of the permanent record and will not appear on academic transcripts. Some classes will only issue a grade of credit or no credit at mid-term.