Home >> Academic Policies and Procedures >> Major

Academic Grievances

Academic Progress



Change of Address, Email or Name

Classification of Students

Correspondence - Email


Course Load

Course Numbering System

Course Offerings

Credit/No Credit Classes

Repeating Course Work


Credit by Examination

Criminal Background Check

Dean's List

Degree Plans


Grade Point Average (GPA)

Grade Changes

Grading Scale

Incomplete Grades

Mid-Term Grades

Graduate Courses






Independent Study

International Education

Internship/Cooperative Education


Change of Major

Declaring a Major

Military Service Activation


Concurrent Enrollment

Dates for Registration


In Absentia Registration

Non-Academic Drops

Readmission of Former Students

Visiting U.T. System Students

Withdrawal From the University

Religious Holy Days

Scholastic Probation

Scholastic Suspension


Transfer Credit

Military Training as Credit


Academic Policies and Procedures


Change of Major

Students wishing to change majors should complete a "Change of Major Request Form" in their academic advisor's office before registration and no later than the first day of classes of a semester/term.

Students with a cumulative GPA below 2.00 may only change their major with permission from the Associate Dean of their current major and the Associate Dean of their intended major. Both Associate Deans' signatures are required on the "Change of Major Request Form" prior to its submission to the Office of the Registrar.

If the change of major is approved, the student will then be responsible for meeting all program requirements and course prerequisites of the catalog in effect at the time of the change. In the first semester of change to a new major, the student must meet with an academic advisor to prepare a degree plan. The Core Curriculum requirements, however, remain those of the catalog in force at the time of matriculation unless the student specifically chooses those of a more recent catalog.

Deadlines and Fees

The Office of the Registrar will accept "Undergraduate Change of Major" forms for processing up to the close of business on the first day of classes of each semester. Forms received after the first day of classes will be processed effective for the following semester.

All students are allowed to change majors twice in a given academic year at no charge. The academic year begins August 1st and is completed the last day of July each year.

If a student elects to change majors more than two times during an academic year, the third change requires a $25.00 fee. EXCEPTION: There is no charge to move to, or from, the "undeclared major" category.

Declaring a Major

Undergraduate students must declare an academic course of study or major by the time they have earned 54 semester credit hours in order to continue enrollment. These hours include UT Dallas credits, credit transferred from other institutions, and hours awarded through credit by examination (AP, CLEP, IB, SAT, etc.).

Transfer students who have earned 54 hours at the time they apply for admission to UT Dallas must declare a major at the time of admission.

Continuing students on academic probation who pass the 54 hour benchmark without declaring a major have a maximum of two long semesters to regain good academic standing. During this period students will remain undeclared. A student who fails to regain good standing within two long-semesters will be suspended from the University.