Academic Policies and Procedures


Academic Advising

Academic advising is an integral part of undergraduate education. The goal of academic advising is to assist students in taking responsibility for developing meaningful educational plans compatible with their career and personal goals. Advising is more than imparting specialized knowledge; it includes helping students formulate important questions about the nature and direction of their education and helping them find answers to those questions.

While advisors confer with students about courses and educational experiences, students themselves are responsible for defining the content of their academic program and making progress toward an academic degree. Advisors will assist students in designing an appropriate course of study that will satisfy requirements for graduation (see “Academic Degree Requirements,” located at as well as offer information on particular courses and university rules and procedures. All students must verify their class schedule each semester, must see that necessary transactions are completed, and are responsible for all documentation related to schedule changes and other transactions.

Students who have chosen a major should meet with an academic advisor in the appropriate school regularly and in a timely manner prior to semester drop deadlines and course registration. All freshmen are required to meet with their advisor in order to register for classes (see “Registration” at Students admitted to UT Dallas as freshmen or as sophomores who have not declared a major are advised by the Undergraduate Student Advising Office, an integral part of the Office of Undergraduate Education. Students remain the responsibility of Undergraduate Education until they declare a major, at which time advising will be undertaken by an advisor in the student’s program. Students must declare a major by the time they become juniors in order to have their program advising conducted by the advisors in the school in which they are registered.

Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their academic advisor, especially when they have earned 75 semester hours to establish and/or review their degree plan.

Academic Grievances

A student having a grievance regarding academic concerns may have the issue considered. Procedures for appeals of academic decisions can be found at

Academic Progress

A student is considered to be making satisfactory scholastic progress when he or she is carrying an approved schedule of classes, is not on probation, and has a GPA of at least 2.00 (C average) in the major and overall. Students who habitually drop a significant fraction of their schedule may lose the right to drop or may be dismissed from the University for failure to make adequate academic progress.

Dean’s List

The Dean’s List recognizes students whose grades for the fall or spring semester represent the top ten percent of all students within each school who complete 12 or more semester credit hours within that semester. These students will be recognized as members of the Dean’s List of their respective schools. Students without a declared major are eligible for the Office of Undergraduate Education Dean’s List.

Grade Changes

Faculty Initiated

After a final grade has been recorded by the Registrar, faculty may change grades only to correct a clerical error or replace a grade of “incomplete”. A faculty initiated change of a final grade requires the written approval of the instructor, the department or program head, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education , and the School Dean. Such grade changes must be submitted by the end of the eighth week of the following long semester after the grade was awarded. Any grade change initiated after the eighth week of the long semester requires the written approval of the instructor, the department or program head, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education, the School Dean, and the Dean of Undergraduate Education.

Student Request

A student has the right to request a review of the grades received in any class.

Students must petition for a grade review by the end of the eighth week of the following long semester after the grade was received. The request must be submitted in writing to the appropriate faculty member who then has the remainder of that semester to take action (See “Academic Appeals” in Appendix I).

Grade Point Average

Grade points are computed by multiplying the points for each grade by the number of credit hours; for example, 4.00 (A) x 3 (hours) = 12 grade points. A student’s grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of semester hours for which a grade other than I, NC, or CR is received.

NOTE: Only grades earned at The University of Texas at Dallas are used in calculating the student’s GPA.

An undergraduate student is limited to three grade-bearing enrollment attempts for any specific class. With regard to repeats, the grade from the first repeat will substitute for the original grade to determine a student’s grade point average and to satisfy degree requirements. A second repeat will result in both repeats being included when computing the student’s cumulative grade point average. (See “Repeating Course Work” at

Grading Scale

UT Dallas uses the following grade scale for all undergraduate students.

GradeDescriptionGrade Points per Semester Hour
NCNo Credit
Academic Withdrawal
WPWithdraw Passing
WFWithdraw Failing
Non-academic Withdrawal
WCWithdraw Good Cause
WDWithdraw Death
WIWithdraw Illness
WMWithdraw Military Duty
WWWithdraw Work

Incomplete Grades (I)

A grade of Incomplete may be given, at the discretion of the instructor of record for a course, when a student has completed at least 70% of the required course material but cannot complete all requirements by the end of the semester. An incomplete course grade (grade of ‘I’) must be completed within the time period specified by the instructor, not to exceed eight weeks from the first day of the subsequent long semester.

Upon completion of the required work, the symbol ‘I’ may be converted into a letter grade (A through F) by the instructor. If the grade of Incomplete is not removed by the end of the specified period, it will automatically be changed to F.

Extension beyond the specified limit can be made only with the permission of the instructor, the student’s Associate Dean and the Undergraduate Dean. A student may not re-enroll in a course in which a grade of ‘I’ remains.

Students may obtain a petition/documentation form for an Incomplete in the office of the student’s Undergraduate Associate Dean. The form is to be submitted to the instructor from whom the Incomplete is sought. If a significant fraction of a semester is missed with cause, see the section on “Dropping, Withdrawing, or Adding Courses” at

An instructor assigning an Incomplete,(‘I’) must submit the petition/documentation form containing a description of the work required to complete the course to the Undergraduate Associate Dean of the school offering the course. Upon approval, a copy of the petition will be forwarded to the student’s Undergraduate Associate Dean to be retained with the student’s academic record. The instructor alone will be responsible for determining whether the requirements for completion are met and for assigning a grade in the course.

However, if the instructor who has signed the Incomplete,(‘I’) is no longer associated with UT Dallas and the work is completed within the time allowed before the Incomplete lapses to an F, the Associate Dean of the instructor’s college may assign a committee of appropriate faculty to evaluate the material and/or obtain any other information that may be required to assign a grade in the course.

Mid-Term Grades

Students are issued mid-term grades to apprise them of their progress within the semester. These grades are not a part of the permanent record and will not appear on academic transcripts. Some classes will only issue a grade of credit or no credit at mid-term.

Scholastic Status

A student is required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) to remain academically eligible to enroll for subsequent semesters. Only grades received in UT Dallas classes are used to compute the GPA while transfer credit from other institutions accepted by the University is calculated in the number of hours required for graduation. Scholastic status is determined at the end of each academic semester. While grade point averages may change within a semester (such as when a student completes a class that previously had a grade of incomplete), scholastic status remains the same until the next grade reporting period.


Students may obtain their official UT Dallas transcript from The Office of the Registrar at no charge if they pick up the transcript in person or if the transcript is sent via regular postal mail. Fees for overnight and international mail, however, will apply. A student must clear all University holds before requesting an official transcript.

No partial or incomplete transcripts will be issued. Transcript requests are not accepted over the telephone.

Transcripts may be ordered for pick-up in person in The Office of the Registrar. Alternatively, transcripts to be mailed may be ordered:

  • Online using the Online Transcript Request Form, which is available at for use under certain conditions
  • By fax at (972) 883-6335 with the student's signature
  • By email sent from the student's UT Dallas email account (or from the email of record, if alumni) to [email protected]
  • By mail with student's signature. The mailing address is:
Office of the Registrar
The University of Texas at Dallas
800 West Campbell Road - MC11
Richardson, TX 75080-3021

Transcripts requested by email will only be mailed to a student at the address on file with The Office of the Registrar or to another university.

The Texas Education Code provides legal penalties for any alteration of academic records or transcripts with the intent to use such a document fraudulently or permit the fraudulent use of such a document. Falsifying or omitting information may result in withdrawal of any offer of admission, in cancellation of enrollment, and/or in disciplinary action.

Transfer Credit

Although UT Dallas normally accepts credit from academic courses taken at other regionally accredited institutions in which a grade of ‘C’ (2.00 on a 4.00 scale) or higher has been earned, specific course and degree requirements must be met in order for these courses to be included in the student’s degree plan.

The Office of Enrollment Services evaluates an applicant’s completed file to determine which credits earned at another college or university will transfer to UT Dallas. Once a student is admitted the student’s record will be articulated for all transfer work and will reflect those credits that have been accepted by UT Dallas. An undergraduate advisor in the student’s major, in consultation with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, will determine how the transfer credits apply to UT Dallas degree requirements. The faculty, acting through the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education, has the ultimate responsibility for applying transfer credit to their specific major requirements. Students may request an articulation appeal through the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education in their school within the first semester of attendance.

Students may not transfer to UT Dallas more than six of the final thirty (30) hours required for their degree.

To ensure that credit earned elsewhere will be accepted, continuing UT Dallas students who wish to take courses elsewhere must complete an ‘Off Campus Transfer Work Approval Form’ in their advising office and submit it to the Office of the Registrar for approval prior to registering for the course(s). Upon completion of approved courses, an official transcript must be sent electronically or by mail to:

Office of the Registrar
The University of Texas at Dallas
800 West Campbell Road - MC11
Richardson, Texas 75080-3021