Using the Hazlewood Exemption at UT Dallas

The Hazlewood Exemption Act provides an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans. Eligible students may receive an exemption from the payment of all tuition and most fees at Texas public institutions for up to 150 credit hours.  For more information on the Hazlewood Act and eligibility requirements, please visit the Texas Veterans Commission website

Required documentation may be submitted via mail, fax, or email to:

The University of Texas at Dallas
Office of Financial Aid, SSB 22
800 West Campbell Road
Richardson, TX 75080-3021 Fax (972) 883-2947

Documentation may also be submitted in person at the Student Services Building, attention "Office of Financial Aid".

Applying for the exemption the first time

Veterans using the Exemption:

Veterans Transferring Unused Hours to an Eligible Child (Legacy):

  • Texas Hazlewood Exemption Application
  • DD-214
  • VA Education Benefits Letter (required for veterans who served after 09/11/2001) 
  • Proof of dependency - a copy of the student's birth certificate or a copy of the parent's most recent tax return showing the student claimed as a dependent
  • Printouts from the State’s Hazlewood Student Hours Online database for both the veteran and the student (even if hours show zero)

Dependent Children and Spouses using the Exemption:

  • Texas Hazlewood Exemption Application
  • DD-214 (veteran’s)
  • Proof from Department of Defense or from Veterans Administration regarding veteran’s death or 100% disability related to service
  • Copy of birth certificate or marriage license to verify dependency
  • A printout from the State’s Hazlewood Student Hours Online database (even if hours show zero)

Returning UT Dallas Students who wish to renew the Hazlewood Exemption


What is a VA Education Benefits letter and how do I receive one?

The VA Education Benefits letter is an official correspondence from the VA stating your education benefits status.  The letter will state whether you have exhausted your eligibility for GI/Montgomery benefits (Chapters 31, 33/Post-911).  You can request the letter from the VA Office at (888) 442-4551 or

I used the Hazlewood Exemption at another school.  Do I need to complete another application?

Yes.  State law requires all universities to maintain their own Hazlewood exemption records.  Each school also is required to verify your attempted Hazlewood hours from all previously attended institutions.

Can I receive both Hazlewood and VA Benefits?

A student may use Chapter 33 (Post-911 GI Bill) or Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) with Hazlewood during the same term if the combination of benefits does not exceed the total amount of tuition and fees.  In either case, Hazlewood benefits may cover eligible tuition and fees that are not covered by Ch. 33 or Ch. 31 tuition and fees payments.  A student may receive the full amount of federal education benefits issued under Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB, Ch. 30 & Ch. 1606), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, chapter 1607), or Post Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance program (VEAP, Chapter 32) in conjunction with Hazlewood.

Can I receive both Hazlewood and other forms of financial aid?

While the Hazlewood exemption may be used in conjunction with some other forms of financial aid, such as federal grants, outside scholarships, loans, and work-study, it must fit within your Cost of Attendance (COA) and your financial need. Certain institutional scholarship and grant funds (such as the Educational Assistance Grant) are intended for tuition and fees only. Consequently, those funds may not be received in addition to the Hazlewood Exemption. If financial aid is already disbursed or awarded at the time your Hazlewood exemption is approved, adjustments may be made to your financial aid to allow for the exemption. Additionally, exemption amounts will be adjusted to allow for any federal VA education (Post-911 GI Bill) benefits that are received.

What is the deadline to apply for Hazlewood?

The priority deadline for submitting all required documentation is July 15 for the upcoming academic year.  If we have received all required forms by the priority deadline, the exemption will be in place before the Full Term Census Day as noted in the Academic Calendar.  We will continue to process late applications in the order they are received.  However applicants who submit their renewal form after the start of the term are strongly encouraged to consider making alternate payment arrangements with the Bursar’s Office in order to meet the Census Day payment deadline.  Late submission of renewal documents may result in late fees and/or cancelled enrollment.  Applications and all supporting documentation may be submitted no later than the last day of class for any given term.  Hazlewood is not retroactive to prior terms. 

Is there a minimum academic requirement?

Students using Hazlewood Exemption benefits under the Legacy Act provision must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements as defined by the Office of Financial Aid. Academic progress is checked at the completion of each term for all Legacy Act students. Hazlewood Exemption benefits will not be posted for Legacy Act students until the previous term's academic progress has been reviewed.

NEW for Fall 2014: All continuing undergraduate and graduate students (Veteran, Dependents, and Legacy) must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) GPA requirements.  Additionally, all undergraduate students also must be within the maximum timeframe for completion of the degree program.  Hazlewood Exemption benefits will not be finalized for students until the previous term's academic progress has been reviewed. 

The only recipients excluded from the above SAP requirements are the children and spouses of members of the military who are deceased as a result of service-related injury or illness. 

Is there an age limit for the Hazlewood Exemption?

In order to maintain eligibility for the Legacy Program under the Hazlewood Exemption, a student must be 25 years or younger on the first day of the term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to a qualifying illness or debilitating condition). There is no age limit for the dependent spouse or child of a veteran who was 100% disabled or deceased as a result of service-related injury or illness.

Are any programs excluded from the Hazlewood Exemption at UT Dallas?

Executive education and certain certificate programs are not eligible for the Hazlewood exemption for the reason that the school does not receive formula funding (tax support) for these programs.

Where can I find veteran services other than Hazlewood at the university?

UT Dallas provides a full service Veteran Services Center with resources for veterans, reservists, eligible dependents, and active duty military students.

Where can I learn more about the Hazlewood Act?

We encourage you to review the program guidance and FAQs found on the Texas Veterans Commission's web site.  For additional assistance with Hazlewood at UT Dallas, contact the Veterans Benefits Team at



US Department of Education and Federal Student Aid (Start Here Go Further)




June 1, 2015