Veteran's Affairs

If you have any questions that are not answered here, try our Frequently Asked Questions area.

Requesting VA Certification at UT Dallas

The campus based VA Certifying Official acts as a liaison between the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the student.  This involves assisting with a variety of processing and information needs such as documentation requirements, correspondence and the certification and receipt of benefits. UT Dallas's VA Certifying Official is Sara Foxworthy. She can be reached at

How you go about requesting certification at UTD depends on your individual situation, please select which item pertains to you:

Requesting a Parent Institution Letter

If you are currently enrolled at another college or university, and you want to take classes at that school which are not part of your current degree plan, but will apply to a UT Dallas degree plan upon your transfer to UT Dallas, you must obtain a Parent Institution Letter (PIL). This document can be used to obtain VA benefits at your current school if you are planning to enroll at The University of Texas at Dallas upon completion of 24 credit hours, or less, at your current school; and/or enrolling in courses not covered by the degree plan at your current school.  All courses appearing on the letter must be necessary for fulfillment of specific degree plan requirements here at UT Dallas..

You must do two things in order to obtain a PIL :

  1. You must apply for admission to UT Dallas, supplying copies of all academic transcripts
  2. You then request a PIL Letter from the UT Dallas VA Certifying Official
  3. A PIL letter will not be sent until transcripts have been evaluated by the Office of Admission and Enrollment Services.

It is in your best interests to follow the degree plan at your current institution as long as possible to provide them with the most flexibility in certifying your eligibility for VA benefits.

Department of Veteran's Affairs Contacts

GI Bill Information Line


GI Bill Enrollment Verification Line


VA Web Site


Veteran's Benefits Coordinator

Sara Foxworthy is UT Dallas's VA Certifying Official. She can be reached by email at or by phone at 972-883-4020. Her office is located in Student Services Building (SSB) as part of the Office of Financial Aid.

The Hazlewood Tuition Exemption

Elaine Starr in the UT Dallas Office of Financial Aid administers this state benefit. You can email your questions to her at or phone her directly at 972-883-4858. Her office is located in Student Services Building (SSB) as part of the Office of Financial Aid. Information regarding eligibility requirements for this tuition exemption can be found at

Updated: October 30, 2014