Aug. 22, 2016
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of Aug. 8: academic dishonesty (1), misconduct (2).
Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of Aug. 8: Intakes, consultation and counseling (12), crisis services (2), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (20), couple/group (2).
- The fall insurance waiver period continues through Aug. 26.
- Fall and annual memberships, towel service, group exercise passes and locker renewal for Recreational Sports are open online and in person. Contact Greg Melton for more information.
- Have a membership but need a locker? New locker rental goes on sale at 7 a.m. on Sept. 9. Must purchase in person at the Activity Center.
- Aug. 29: Group exercise classes begin.
- Carly Johnston has been hired as the aquatics coordinator.
- Aug. 23: Sex Bowl, 6 p.m., Activity Center Main Gym.
Student Engagement Initiatives
Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Aug. 24: Greek Treats and Trivia, 6-8 p.m., Plinth.
- Aug. 27: CPC Poolside, 4-6 p.m., Phase 3 pool.
- Aug. 30: MGC Pool Social, 6 p.m., Phase 8 pool.
- Each month a different student leader will be selected for the Student Leadership Spotlight, with first spotlight debuting in September. Nominations are available online.
- Aug. 21-Sept. 3: Welcome Week.
- Student Union building hours are 7 a.m.-2 a.m.
- All Dining Dollars balances recently were merged into UTDollars. UTDollars can be used at select off campus merchants, including the newly added Off Campus Bookstore. See the Comet Center website for the most current list of participating businesses.
- Six Flags end of summer special: day passes are $38.87. Visit the Comet Center to purchase. Offer ends Sept. 1.
- Aug. 1-31: Professional Clothing Drive for Comet Closet. Collection bins are located in the OSV office (SSB 3.600), JSOM undergraduate lounge (JSOM 11.105), Administration Building near the second floor elevator, and the first floor lobby in the Student Union. Each location has one bin for clothing and one for shoes/accessories.
- Aug. 22: Student organization group registration for Viva Volunteer opens on OrgSync.
- Aug. 22: Registration for Freshmen Engaged in Service Together (FEST) opens.
- Aug. 26: Volunteer Expo, 1-3 p.m., Activity Center Main Gym. Bring Comet Card for entry.
- Sept. 9: Freshmen Engaged in Service Together: Hygiene Care Kits benefiting homeless veterans in Dallas, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. (two volunteer shifts), RHSW 2.002.
- Sept. 15: iFriend Kick-Off and Matching Mixer, 3-5 p.m., Galaxy Rooms.
- Oct. 22: Viva Volunteer. Registration required.
- Administrative assistant II position now posted.
- Search is underway for a program coordinator.
Student Transition Initiatives
- Jennifer Del Rosario starts Aug. 29 as administrative assistant II for Health and Wellness initiatives and Student Programs.
Student Transition Programs
- Aug. 24: Senior Breakfast, 9 a.m., Galaxy Rooms.
- Aug. 30: Sophomore Advance: A World of Possibilities, 5 p.m., Galaxy Rooms.
Veteran Services Center
- Aug. 30: Open House & Resource Fair, 11:30 a.m., MC 1.204.
- Education Abroad information booths and general information sessions are underway. See the IC events page for dates.
- Any new international student arriving now must contact [email protected] to schedule a make-up orientation session.
Leadership, Risk/Safety, Partnerships
- Sally Stewart starts Sept. 1 as administrative assistant I.
Marketing and Student Media
- Staff interested in taking part in the division-wide marketing/communications committee should contact Jenni Huffenberger.
- Sept. 6: Headshots for new, full-time Student Affairs staff, 10 a.m.-12 p.m., SSB lobby.
- Aug. 22: Back-to-school issue of The Mercury on newsstands.
- Aug. 23: UTD TV hosts auditions for Comets Got Talent, 3-5 p.m., The Plinth (Rain location: SU 1.602).
- Aug. 25: UTD TV hosts auditions for Comets Got Talent, 4-6 p.m., The Plinth (Rain location: Galaxy Rooms).
- Aug. 26: Student Media hosts Meet the Press open house, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., SU 1.602.