Aug. 29, 2016
Vice President for Student Affairs
- From Dr. Fitch: "I appreciate everyone's hard work and commitment to UTD and our students, and want to say thank you for a great first week of activities. Keep up the momentum in week two! Only 103 days until final exams."
- Please congratulate Lisa Adams and Monalisa Amidar; both have been reclassified to director-level positions, effective Sept. 1.
- President Benson's proposed revision to the Campus Carry policy was approved by the Board of Regents. This allows faculty and staff to identify private offices as exclusion zones. Consult the campus carry website for more details.
- Sept. 2: Volleyball vs. Wiley, 7 p.m., Activity Center. The No. 13-ranked Comets open the new season against Wiley College. Pre-game tailgate party at 5 p.m. in Lot J. Enjoy free food, games and live music.
- Sept. 3: Volleyball vs. Texas Lutheran, 3 p.m., Activity Center. Fans will receive free "White-Out" T-shirts while supplies last.
- Sept. 4: Women's soccer vs. La Verne (CA), 1 p.m., Soccer Field. The Comets will host the University of La Verne in their home opener. Fans are invited to wear their "White-Out" shirts from Saturday's volleyball match for a "Paint Party." Free powdered paint will be provided for every goal scored by the Comets.
- Sept. 5: Women's soccer vs. St. Thomas (WI), 7 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Sept. 18: Men's soccer vs. California-Santa Cruz, 7 p.m., Soccer Field. After five straight road games to open the year, the Comets will play their first home contest against UC Santa Cruz. Free cheeseburgers for all students in attendance for National Cheeseburger Day, while supplies last.
- Follow Comet Athletics' events on their new website.
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of Aug. 15: Academic dishonesty (11).
Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions: Intakes, consultation and counseling (18), crisis services (6), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (26), outreach (4), mind/body lab (2).
Student Engagement Initiatives
Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Sept. 1: MGC/NPHC showcase, 7 p.m., Activity Center Gym.
- Welcome Week continues through Sept. 3.
- Student Development is hiring for an AAI and an assistant director for student life programs/student organizations.
- Student Leadership Programs has committed to working with 780 students on StrengthsQuest this semester. Contact Beth Roller if you're interested in having your students take the inventory.
- Student Government is still accepting applications for senators.
- Aug. 31: The Big Bad Comedy Show, featuring Jon Benjamin and Dan Mintz, voice actors from "Bob's Burgers," ATEC Auditorium. Doors open at 7 p.m., show starts at 8. Free admission.
- Nearly 1,500 Comets participated in 42 OSV events and service opportunities over the summer, logging 1,040 hours and donating approximately $25,000 worth of service back to the community.
- A full list of OSV fall volunteer events is available for download. Unless otherwise indicated, OrgSync event registration opens at least two weeks prior.
- Aug. 1-31: Professional Clothing Drive for Comet Closet. Collection bins are located in the OSV office (SSB 3.600), the JSOM undergraduate lounge (JSOM 11.105), the Administration Building near the second floor elevator, and the first floor of the Student Union lobby. Each location has one bin for clothing and one for shoes and accessories.
- Sept. 9: Freshmen Engaged in Service Together: Hygiene Care Kits benefiting homeless veterans in Dallas, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. (two volunteer shifts), Residence Hall Southwest 2.002.
- Sept. 15: iFriend Kick-Off and Matching Mixer, 3-5 p.m., Galaxy Rooms.
- Sept. 22: Bone Marrow Donor Drive, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Galaxy Rooms.
- Oct. 4, 11, 18, 25: Viva Volunteer leadership trainings for responsible university officials (RUOs) and site leaders, 10-11 a.m., Galaxy Room C.
- Oct. 22: Viva Volunteer. Registration required.
- Administrative assistant II position now posted.
- A search is underway for a program coordinator.
Student Transition Initiatives
- Director search is ongoing.
Student Transition Programs
Veteran Services Center
Finance and Administrative Services
- Due to the latest Windows update, there is an issue with the Excel download in PeopleSoft. Contact Liz Ramirez for instructions on adding PeopleSoft to list.
- A search is underway for the business manager position.
Marketing and Student Media
- Aug. 29: Radio UTD music programming begins. Web streaming available at radioutd.com.
- 1500+ students attended the Welcome Back Block Party, which was co-sponsored by Radio UTD and Title IX Programs.
- Sept. 10: Operation I Am: Black Student Leadership Weekend, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Registration is open.
- Sept. 15-Oct. 15: Hosting Hispanic Heritage Month programming. For additional information, contact Bruce August.