Sept. 19, 2016
Vice President for Student Affairs
- DSO tickets for Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring," Sept. 25, 2:30 p.m., $25.
- Sept. 20: Student Affairs potluck lunch, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., RHW.
- Sept. 21: "What Does It Mean to Be a Life-Long Learner?" 10:30 a.m., Faculty/Staff Dining Hall, with keynote speaker Dr. Gage Paine. Paine will lead two afternoon breakout sessions--designed to help professionals gain more knowledge in the NASPA core competencies--at 1 and 2 p.m.
- Congratulations to Residential Life for being selected as Student Affairs' department of the month for August, as a result of their outstanding efforts welcoming new Comets to campus. Remember to nominate outstanding departments for the month of September.
- The Comet volleyball team climbed up to No. 11 in the latest NCAA Division III Top 25, marking the program's highest ranking since the 2009 season.
- Sept. 22: Women's soccer vs. Concordia Texas, 5 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Sept. 22: Men's soccer vs. Concordia Texas, 7:30 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Sept. 24: Women's soccer vs. Mary Hardin-Baylor, 5 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Sept. 24: Men's soccer vs. Mary Hardin-Baylor, 7:30 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Sept. 27: Volleyball vs. East Texas Baptist, 7 p.m., Activity Center.
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of Sept. 5: Academic dishonesty (1), misconduct (2).
Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of Sept. 5: Intakes, consultation and counseling (142), crisis services (7), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (26), group, couples (8), testing (2), outreach (4).
- Center for Students in Recovery services for the week of Sept. 5: Individual recovery support (6), other contacts (30). Group meetings: 12 step-all addictions (1), meditation group (1), Nourish eating disorder support group (1), COR/group (1), SMART (1), outreach (3).
- Sept. 21: Free HIV testing, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., SSB 4.5.
- Sept. 22: Character Day, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., various locations/times.
Student Engagement Initiatives
Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Sept. 19: Staff are invited to an informational about Alpha Lambda Mu, the first Muslim American Fraternity and which was established at UT Dallas, 6-7 p.m., Faculty/Staff Dining Hall. Light refreshments will be served.
- 149 women accepted bids from Alpha Gamma Delta, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Zeta, and Kappa Alpha Theta at the conclusion of College Panhellenic Council (CPC) recruitment last week.
- Sept.15: SUAAB presents Underground Poetry Circus, 7 p.m., Art Barn.
- Sept. 22: Meteor Theater presents "Finding Dory," 7 p.m., Galaxy Rooms.
- Sept. 28: "Star Trek Beyond," 7 p.m., Faculty/Staff Dining Hall.
- Sept. 29: Gelato and Jazz, featuring the Shaun Martin Seven Summers Band, 7 p.m., the Plinth.
Student Transition Initiatives
New Student Programs
Student Transition Programs
- Sept. 27: Comet Countdown to Commencement, 2-6 p.m.
- Transfer orientation dates for students entering in spring 2017 are: Oct. 21, Nov. 4, Nov. 19 and Dec. 9.
Veteran Services Center
- Sept. 21-23: During the Career Expo, student veterans can identify their military status with employers by attaching a veteran ribbon to their name badge. Students may pick up ribbons at the VSC table in the Activity Center, near the expo check-in.
- Sept. 21: VETworking Mixer 4:30-6:30 p.m., Veterans and their spouses are invited to attend.
Housing Operations and Residential Life
- Lavanya Desai, a PA for RHS, was an honoree at the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement's Women Leading in Diversity event on Sept. 9.
International Student Services
- The September edition of Immigration News is now available online.
Galerstein Women’s Center