Oct. 3, 2016
Vice President for Student Affairs
- Several years ago, the division implemented an initiative to have all staff trained in QPR, a suicide prevention program. Due to the number of new employees within our division and the time that has elapsed since the initial training, we ask that all units complete the training again. You will be contacted soon to schedule training.
- Oct. 6: Ribbon cutting at parking structure IV, 2 p.m., and groundbreaking for the new engineering building, 2:30 p.m. (near Hoblitzelle Hall).
- The President's Office is conducting a search for the vice president for Development and Alumni Relations. Interviews will begin soon.
- New Comet Cruiser bus routes begin today.
- UT Dallas' SECC charitable campaign begins Oct. 17 and will run through Nov. 11. Anyone interested in working as a volunteer on the campaign should work through their unit head to have their name submitted for consideration. Volunteers help promote the campaign within the Student Affairs division and serve as a liaison to the SECC coordinator.
- The Comet volleyball team remained a top 10 program in NCAA Division III this week, holding steady at No. 9 in the latest AVCA/NCAA D-III Top 25, matching the highest-ever ranking for the team.
- Oct. 3-4: Women's Golf hosts the UTD #DallasStrong Tri-Match, Twin Creeks Golf Club in Allen.
- Oct. 6: Women's soccer vs. Sul Ross State, 7 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Oct. 8: Women's soccer vs. Trinity, 3 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Oct. 8: Men's Soccer vs. Howard Payne, 7 p.m., Soccer Field.
- Oct. 14-15: Volleyball hosts ASC Crossover Tournament, all day, Activity Center.
- Discount tickets for Dallas Mavericks games for the 2016-17 season are now available online.
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of Sept. 19: Academic dishonesty (6), misconduct (4).
Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of Sept. 19: Intakes, consultation and counseling (177), crisis services (7), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (33), group, couples (52), testing (5), outreach (3).
- Center for Students in Recovery services for the week of Sept. 19: Individual recovery support (9), other contacts (25). Group meetings: 12 step-all addictions (2), meditation group (1), Nourish eating disorder support group (1), COR/group (1), SMART (1).
- Oct. 5: Free dental screening, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Galaxy Room B, and Oct. 19, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Galaxy Room C.
- The northeast entrance of the Activity Center is closed four weeks for renovations of the control desk area. Please use the north entrance by the Main Gym for access.
- Oct. 4: CIZE, 12:30 p.m., Multipurpose Orange Room. Free to all Recreational Sports members.
- Oct. 7 and 8: Wellness Leader Training, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Galaxy Room C.
Student Engagement Initiatives
Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Oct. 12: IFC "A Walk in Her Shoes," in conjunction with the campus "It's on Us" campaign, 11 a.m., Plinth.
- Oct. 5: Meteor Theater Cinematheque: "The Silence of the Lambs," with Dr. Kenneth Brewer, 7 p.m., Jonsson Performance Hall.
- Oct. 4, 11, 18, 25: Viva Volunteer leadership trainings for registered responsible university officials (RUOs) and site leaders, 10-11 a.m., Galaxy Room C.
- Oct. 13: Tech Tutors, 1-4 p.m. Registration required.
- Oct. 22: Viva Volunteer. Group registration is closed. Individual registrations will be available on OrgSync beginning today for students not already registered with an organization.
- Search is ongoing for an administrative assistant and a program coordinator.
Student Transition Initiatives
New Student Programs
- Road Warriors now has a dedicated email address: [email protected].
- Oct. 12: Road Warriors Commuter Break, 3 p.m., Galaxy Room A.
- Oct. 15: Family Day.
Student Transition Programs
- Oct. 3: Comet Credit, 5-6 p.m., Junior Year Experience event.
- Oct. 4: Major Investigation, 5:30-6:30 p.m., Sophomore Year Experience event.
- Oct. 6: Transfer Thirsty Thursday, 5-7 p.m., social mixer for undergrad transfer students.
- Transfer orientation dates for students entering in spring 2017: Oct. 21, Nov. 4, Nov.19 and Dec. 9. Registration is open for all dates.
Veteran Services Center
Finance and Administrative Services
- Fiscal year 2018 budget request templates will be distributed Oct. 3 and are due to Liz Ramirez by end of day Oct. 21.
Marketing and Student Media
- Oct. 3: New issue of AMP on newsstands.
- Oct. 3: New issue of The Mercury on newsstands.
- Oct. 3: UTD TV's latest newscast on YouTube.
Galerstein Women’s Center