Oct. 24, 2016
Vice President for Student Affairs
- The State Employee Charitable Campaign is open through Nov. 11. Employees may give online via a one-time gift or payroll deduction.
- Nov. 3: Callier Richardson addition ribbon cutting and celebration, 3 p.m., CRA. RSVP by Oct. 27. Parking and shuttle service will be available in PS3.
- Laura Smith, associate dean of Health and Wellness Initiatives, has temporarily relocated to the Student Union (Room 2.408) until January. Her phone extension remains the same.
- Oct. 27: 4 Bullets Brewery Halloween Tour, 5:30-8:30 p.m., cost $10. Contact Julie Spanos for more information.
- Nov. 11: Service hours are due via OrgSync.
- Congratulations to Student Union Staff for winning Department of the Month, and to Betsy Clark for winning the Quarterly Employee Award.
- The newest class of the UTD Athletics Hall of Honors has been announced. Former Comets Niki Calverley, Chelsea (Edwards) Cragin and Brett Rosen will be inducted in an on-campus ceremony Nov. 9, in conjunction with Homecoming.
- UTD added two All-Americans to its collection as tennis players Kathy Joseph and Melanie Marlin competed in the ITA Oracle Cup in Surprise, Ariz. Joseph finished in sixth in the national singles bracket, and Joseph and Marlin placed seventh in the doubles bracket. The two are the third and fourth All-Americans for women's tennis.
- The volleyball team has climbed to its highest-ever national ranking, No. 8, in the AVCA/NCAA D-III Top 25.
- Oct. 25: Volleyball vs. Texas-Tyler, 7 p.m., Activity Center. Paint the stands green as the Comets host rival Texas-Tyler for our annual Green Out game.
- Oct. 29: Cross Country at ASC Championships, Austin. The Comet women are poised for their first-ever ASC title.
- Oct. 29: Volleyball vs. Hendrix, 5 p.m., Activity Center. The Comets wrap up their regular season at home against last year's national runners up.
- Nov. 12: Women's basketball vs. Huston-Tillotson, 5:30 p.m., Activity Center. Celebrate Homecoming with the Comets as they host Huston-Tillotson. Homecoming king and queen will be crowned at halftime.
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of Oct. 10: Academic dishonesty (7), misconduct (5).
Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Oct. 25: Title IX One Love Event, 6-8 p.m., Dining Hall.
- Oct. 25: Timeout Tuesday: Halloween, 6-8 p.m., SU 2.508.
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of Oct. 10: Intakes, consultation and counseling (188), crisis services (18), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (29), group and couples (47), testing (3), mind/body lab (1), outreach (5).
- Center for Students in Recovery services for the week of Oct. 10: Individual recovery support (9), other contacts (30). Group meetings: 12 step-all addictions (2), meditation group (1), Nourish eating disorder support group (1).
- Group exercise passes are now $25.
- Oct. 25: Stretch and Flex, 8:15-9:25 p.m., Multipurpose Orange Room. Free to all Recreational Sports members.
- Oct. 26: Free Piloxing workshop, 8 p.m., Activity Center Multipurpose Orange Room.
- Oct. 28: Halloween-themed Zumba for kids at Trunk or Treat, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 28-30 and Nov. 5-6: Water Safety Instructor certification course. Enroll online or contact Carly Johnston for more information.
- Oct. 25: Timeout Tuesday, 6 p.m., Plinth.
- Oct. 26: Free HIV testing, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., SSB 4.5.
- Oct. 26: Ask the Dietitian, 2-4 p.m., SSB 4.5.
Student Engagement Initiatives
Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Oct. 30: FSL 101, Orientation for new members, 3-6 p.m., SU Galaxy Rooms.
- Nov. 1-4: MGC Week.
- There are now 310 registered student organizations, SOC's largest number ever.
- Homecoming parade registration is open through today, Oct. 24.
- Homecoming door decorating sign up is open through Oct. 31.
- Nov. 2: Meteor Theater Cinematheque presents "Miss India America," 7 p.m., Jonsson Performance Hall.
Student Transition Initiatives
New Student Programs
Student Transition Programs
- Transfer orientation dates for students entering in spring 2017: Nov. 4, Nov.19 and Dec. 9.
Housing Operations and Residential Life
- Oct. 27: Pre-Health LLC: BBS meet and greet, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 2-5 p.m., RHW rotunda.
- Oct. 27: Exploration LLC: Student luncheon, 12-1 p.m., RHW 2.400, RSVP is required.
- Oct. 31: ATEC LLC: Halloween party, 3 p.m., ATC lobby.
International Student Services
- Oct. 31: Trick or treat at the International Center: Students and staff may stop by the International Center 8 a.m.-6 p.m. for a treat from China, India, Mexico, Korea or Sweden.
- Eve Su was selected by the NAFSA professional association to co-present in a NAFSA e-Learning seminar about creating efficiencies through technology in an international education office.
Galerstein Women’s Center
- Nov. 2: Native American Heritage Celebration, 7 p.m., Galaxy Rooms. For additional information, contact Bruce August.
- Now registering students to attend the Southwestern Black Student Leadership Conference at Texas A&M University. Students may apply online.