Feb. 6, 2017
Vice President for Student Affairs
- I want to thank everyone for their attendance at the SSA ribbon cutting. Great turnout for a wonderful event! I also want to thank those who were responsible for coordinating logistics. There are too many people to mention without the possibility of leaving someone out, but, you know who you are and I want to say THANKS!
- Hiring freeze: I'm sure you have heard the governor has implemented a statewide hiring freeze. We are gathering information to determine how our division may be impacted by this announcement, particularly as it relates to student employees. More information will follow. In the meantime, contact Liz Ramirez if you have questions regarding hiring.
- The next division-wide meeting is set for March 8.
- Women's basketball currently sits atop the ASC East Division standings and has already clinched a spot in their 11th straight ASC Tournament. They have four games left in the regular season before heading to the ASC Tournament, Feb. 23-25.
- Men's basketball is on the verge of collecting a postseason berth for the 14th consecutive season and could lock up a spot in the ASC Tournament this week. They also have four games left in the regular season before heading to the ASC Tournament, Feb. 23-25.
- Feb. 10: Baseball vs. Concordia Texas, 2:30 p.m., Ballpark in Grand Prairie (season opener).
- Feb. 11: Baseball vs. Hardin-Simmons, 11 a.m., Ballpark in Grand Prairie.
- Feb. 11: Tennis vs. East Texas Baptist, 12:30 & 2:30 p.m., Tennis Courts.
- Feb. 12: Baseball vs. Texas Lutheran, 1 p.m., Ballpark in Grand Prairie.
- Feb. 16: Basketball vs. LeTourneau, 5:30 & 7:30 p.m., Activity Center.
- Feb. 17: Softball vs. Hardin-Simmons, 4 p.m., Softball Field.
- Feb. 18: Softball vs. Hardin-Simmons, 12 p.m., doubleheader, Softball Field.
- Feb. 18: Basketball vs. Texas-Tyler, 1 & 3 p.m., Activity Center (Senior Day).
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of Jan. 23: Academic dishonesty (6), misconduct (1).
Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of Jan. 23: Intakes, consultation and counseling (196), crisis services (13), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (35), group/couple counseling (2), testing (4), group screening (2), outreach (3).
- Center for Students in Recovery services for the week of Jan. 23: Individual recovery support (5), other contacts (20). Group meetings: Nourish eating disorder support group (1), SMART (1).
- Feb. 8: Free dental screening, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Slots are limited. Contact the Student Health Center, 972-883-2747, to schedule an appointment.
- Feb. 9: Free Tai Chi class, 11:45 a.m.-12:25 p.m., Activity Center MP.
- Hammocks are available for check out at Recreation Center West.
- Renee Green is the new administrative assistant for Recreational Sports.
- Feb. 7: Oatmeal Bar, to celebrate National Heart Month and National Hot Breakfast Month, free, 8:30-10 a.m., Founder's first floor atrium.
- Feb. 9-10: Wellness Leader training-how to be a more active bystander, 6-10 p.m., RHNW.
Student Engagement Initiatives
- Feb. 9: Meteor Theater Presents "Moana," with a special pre-movie performance from a hula dance group, 7 p.m., SSA auditorium.
Student Transition Initiatives
New Student Programs
Student Transition Programs
- Feb. 14: Comet Countdown to Commencement, 2-6 p.m., VCB atrium.
- Feb. 1-28: Tau Sigma National Honor Society membership drive.
- Transfer Orientation dates for students entering in summer/fall 2017: March 17, March 24, April 21, April 28, May 19.
Military and Veteran Center
- The Veteran Services Center is now the Military and Veteran Center.
Housing Operations and Residential Life
- Feb. 9 and 10: JSOM LLC networking mixer, 10-10:50 a.m., JSOM Undergraduate Lounge, 11.105.
- Program leaders, organizers and others who oversee international study programs are invited to a program leader forum on Feb. 10. Email Lisabeth Lassiter if you're interested in attending.
International Student Services
Marketing and Student Media
- The latest UTD TV newscast is now available.
- Feb. 6: New issues of AMP and The Mercury on newsstands.
Galerstein Women’s Center
- SAFE ZONE Ally Training registration for April is open. Contact Matt Johns with questions.
- Happy Black History Month! For more information, visit our webpage.
- Feb. 7: From Selma to Stonewall: Are We There Yet?, MC 4.4, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Registration is open.
- Feb. 9: Diversity Education Workshop: Check the Box: Race/Ethnicity & Cultural i-den-ti-ty, 12 p.m. Register here.
- Feb. 11: Africa Night: Back to the Roots, 6:30 p.m., SSA Auditorium. Contact Bruce August for information.
- Feb. 14: A Seat at the Table: Black Love Edition, 7 p.m., JSOM 1.606. Contact D'Andrea Young for information.
- Feb. 15: Diversity Education Workshop: Microaggressions, 6-7:30 p.m. Register here.