June 12, 2017
Vice President for Student Affairs
- The state legislature has allocated $2 million less to the University's budget for the coming biennium, amounting to about $20,000 in cuts to Student Affairs. In addition, enrollment is expected to slow over the next two years, which means
income from tuition and fees is not expected to grow significantly. With those factors in mind, I would like for us to be thoughtful about our spending. Despite these shortcomings, Dr. Benson has committed to funding the salary program for
those who have been employed with UT Dallas as of April 1. We have not yet received guidelines about merit increases, and once established the UT System Board of Regents still must approve them. More details will follow.
- July 31: Student Affairs all staff meeting, 2 p.m., Galaxy Rooms.
- One-time funding requests are under review.
- The chosen Student Affairs tagline is You Belong Here. Guidelines for its use will be shared at our July 31 staff meeting.
- The next Student Affairs Update will be emailed July 10. Regular weekly updates return Aug. 14.
- In May, junior Barry Casey (baseball) and sophomore Melissa Livermore (softball) became UTD's fifth and sixth All-Americans for 2016-17. Casey is a third team All-American by the ABCA, while Livermore is now a two-time All-American after claiming
first team honors by the NFCA.
- Junior Stefanie Polderman (softball) became UTD's third Academic All-American for 2016-17, garnering first team honors by CoSIDA last month. This marks the second straight year that UTD has had three Academic All-Americans.
- Seniors Michelle Toro (volleyball) and Joseph Weber (men's soccer) have been named the UTD Student Athletes of the Year for 2016-17. Both earned All-ASC and Academic All-ASC honors last fall and led their respective teams to conference championships.
- UTD had 61 student athletes named Academic All-ASC from its winter and spring sports, giving the Comets a school record 103 total selections during the 2016-17 academic year.
- Fall sports schedules (men's soccer, women's soccer and volleyball) are now available online.
Dean of Students
Community Standards and Conduct
- New cases for the week of May 29: Academic dishonesty (6),
Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Clinical services/sessions for the week of May 29: Intakes, consultation and counseling (53), crisis services (7), psychiatric evaluations and treatment (11), group/couple counseling (6), outreach (2), testing (2).
- Center for Students in Recovery services for the week of May 29: Other contacts (13). Group meetings: Meditation (1), 12 step-all addictions (1), SMART (1).
- June 21: Summer Solstice Sunrise Celebration, 5:45 a.m., Chess Plaza. Pre-dawn vegetarian breakfast will be available. Registration is required.
Student Engagement Initiatives
- Aug. 20-Sept. 1: Save the dates—Weeks of Welcome.
- Andrew Shaw has joined the Student Organization Center as coordinator of student organizations.
- The assistant director for Student Leadership position is now posted.
- June 15: SUAAB's Sizzling Summer Concert, 7:30 p.m., the Plinth.
Student Transition Initiatives
New Student Programs
Student Transition Programs
Military and Veteran Center
- June 12: Exchange Workshop, 2-3:30 p.m., SSB 3.107.
- June 13: Pre-departure orientation, 9-10:30 a.m., SSB 3.107.
- June 21: Pre-departure orientation, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., SSB 3.107.
- June 26: Education Abroad Information Booth, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.,
SU Comet Cafe.
- July 5: Exchange Workshop, 9:30-11 a.m., SSB 3.107.
- July 7: Education Abroad Information Booth, 12-2 p.m., SU Comet Cafe.
- July 10: Exchange Workshop, 2-3:30 p.m., SSB 3.107.
- June 13: iEngage "Food, Fact, or Fiction", 4-5 p.m., SSB 3.107.
- June 16: Discover Downtown Dallas, 3:15-9 p.m.
- June 20: iEngage "Global Dining Experience", 4-5 p.m., SSB 3.107.
- June 22: Prospective Students Webinar: Top 5 Questions of New International Students, 8-9 a.m., via eLearning.
- June 27: iEngage "One Hour World Olympics", 4-5 p.m., SSB 3.107.
Housing Operations and Residential Life
- Canyon Creek Heights apartments are on track for substantial completion July 18.
- University Village roof replacement project is more than 50 percent complete.
- Asad Munir has joined as associate director of Housing Operations.
- Sherry Jones starts as administrative assistant for Housing Operations
on June 12.
- Housing Operations will be hiring numerous positions in the coming weeks to run Canyon Creek Heights, including: building attendant foreman, five building attendant IIs, HVAC technician III, maintenance worker III, two maintenance worker IIs,
two porters, and two front desk assistants.
- University Village summer occupancy is 47 percent.
- Aug 16: Move in for Residence Hall South and half of Residence Hall West.
- Aug 17: Move in for Residence Hall North, half of Residence Hall West, and Canyon Creek Heights South.
- Aug 18: Move in for Residence Hall Southwest, Residence Hall Northwest, and Canyon Creek Heights North.
- Aug 19: Move in for University Village.
Marketing and Student Media
- Aug. 14: Staff photos, 10-11:30 a.m., SSB lobby. If you have new staff or are interested in updating your photo, please RSVP to Jessie Budd.
Galerstein Gender Center