The CommLab provides students and faculty members practical feedback and resources for improving oral and group presentations. By visiting the CommLab, students can gain valuable insight and develop the necessary skills to become successful speakers.
- Aims to develop individuals’ understanding of each aspect of the speech-making process, including topic selection, organization, supporting materials, nonverbal behaviors and practicing delivery.
- Recreates the classroom experience and provides support for course projects and assignments.
- Emphasizes interpersonal and group skills, oral presentation strategies and effective delivery.
- Identifies key areas for improvement to provide students with a launch point for future assignments.
- Creates a comfortable learning environment where each session is specifically tailored to the individual’s needs.
- Does not discuss potential grades a visitor may earn, nor do we critique instructors, assignments or grading policies.
Media in the CommLab
The CommLab is equipped with a media center that includes a computer and projector for use in speeches. When you set up your appointment, please indicate if you are bringing a PowerPoint or other media to present and bring it with you on a flash drive. You can also email the files to [email protected] as back-up.
Meet Your CommLab Leaders
View a roster of this semester’s CommLab Leaders.
Download printable guides and tips about the speech-making process.
McDermott Library Third Floor
Mon-Tue: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Wed: 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
Thur: 4-8 p.m.
Fri: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Make an Appointment
Cancellation — Please cancel your appointment at least 24 hours in advance. Students who are more than 15 minutes late will have their appointments canceled.