UT Dallas is serious about recycling. We’re now single-streaming, which means that recycling is more convenient and stream-lined. It’s part of our goal to create a more sustainable campus.
You’ll find some changes on campus: trash cans paired with recycling receptacles. More blue bins and fewer containers specifically for one waste, such as cans or bottles. No more sorting recyclables into different bins. Cans, paper and plastics can now go into any recycling container.
Single-stream recycling is not only easier for consumers, it makes the University more efficient and helps increase rates of recycling. UT Dallas generated nearly 7 million pounds of trash from 2012 to 2014. By 2016, we’d like to attain a recycling rate of 50% and divert millions of pounds of trash from landfills into recycled materials.
How can you help?
- Choose right. An aluminum can that is properly disposed of in a recycling receptacle will require 95% less energy and water to recycle than a can that is created from virgin materials.
- Know what items can be recycled. Paper, cans, cardboard, plastic and even specials items such as batteries and ink jet cartridges can all be recycled.
- Don’t contaminate. Containers that have food attached cannot be recycled. In fact, food waste contaminates recyclable materials and renders them unrecyclable.
- Order bins and totes. If you have a special event or an end-of-semester office clean-out, remember to order recycling bins or totes, and we will deliver them to you.
What can be recycled?
- Paper (any color)
- Magazines & Newspapers
- Envelopes, junk mail, post it notes
- Aluminum Cans & metal containers
- Plastic Bottles & Containers
Do you have old batteries to recycle? Glass and lightbulbs? Ink jet and toner cartridges? Battery, glass and lightbulb recycling are available through the Department of Environmental Health & Safety (972-883-4111). Ink jet and toner cartridges will still be collected separately at designated recycling stations around campus. These recyclables are sold to a third-party vendor and funds collected are used to benefit the Staff Council Scholarship Fund. If you need help finding a disposal location, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* For cardboard boxes or large amounts of recycling, please contact us at email@example.com to schedule a pick-up.
Composting is another important part of the campus waste management program. The UT Dallas Sustainability program collects more than 1200 pounds of pre-consumer food waste a week, which, along with plant materials such as grass clippings, tree branches and leaves, is used to create compost and mulch. These organic materials are used on campus to grow healthy plants and to beautify the landscape.
UT Dallas participates in Recyclemania, an 8-week competition between schools that promotes waste reduction activities on campuses across the United States and Canada. Participating schools report the amount of trash and recycling collected each week. The contest raises awareness and motivates students and staff to increase recycling efforts. Winning schools receive national recognition, an award made of recyclable materials and bragging rights!
The competition starts February 1st and runs through April 4, 2015. Help us win the competition by making recycling part of your routine. Let’s raise our recycling rate together!
Next BIG free shred event is Thursday March 26 beginning at 8:30 am.
What documents should be shredded?
- Medical Records
- Anything associated with FERPA
- All sensitive and confidential information
What is considered confidential or sensitive information?
Documents that are considered confidential or sensitive is anything that has a social security number, UT Dallas ID number, medical information, housing information and anything that falls under the FERPA guidelines. Documents that don’t have any sensitive information can be put into the recycling bins.
Office Clean Up
Every office on campus needs a good clean out at least once a year and we can help. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you need a recycling bin or a shredding bin and we can provide it.