Undergraduate Transfer Orientation
Congratulations on your admission to UT Dallas! One of your first steps toward a successful transition to UT Dallas is to register for and attend Transfer Orientation. At Transfer Orientation you will learn about UT Dallas resources, meet with academic advising, and begin the process of registering for classes.
Transfer Orientation registration will close one week prior to the orientation date or when the date reaches seating capacity. Orientations will reach capacity quickly and are filled on a first come, first served basis. In the past, transfer orientations have closed over a month in advance due to reaching seating capacity.
Student are encouraged to read the Transfer Orientation FAQ webpage for additional information regarding orientation.
Transfer Orientation Dates
Please review your schedule carefully before registering for Transfer Orientation. Once paid, the Transfer Orientation fee is non-refundable or transferable to a different date.
Do not make travel, childcare, or work arrangements until you have registered, paid, and received a confirmation email.
- Friday, October 21*
- Friday, November 4*
- Saturday, November 19
- Friday, December 9
*These orientations take place before Spring 2017 class registration opens.
Register to Attend Transfer Orientation
Spring 2017 Transfer Orientation registration is now open.
In order to register to attend Transfer Orientation at UT Dallas, students will need to complete a Pre-Transfer Orientation activity and take a quiz in eLearning. Once a student receives a 100% grade on their quiz, a link will be made available in eLearning to register and pay for Transfer Orientation.
Students will need their NetID, NetID password, UTD-ID Number and a UT Dallas email address to complete the steps below.
1. Accept your admission to UT Dallas. Students should complete this step as soon as possible. It could take up to one week to move from Step 1 to Step 2.
2. Log into eLearning with NetID and NetID password.
3. Complete the Pre-Transfer Orientation Activity and take a quiz.
4. The Transfer Orientation registration link will become available in eLearning after a student receives a score of 100 on their quiz. Use the link to register for and to pay to attend Transfer Orientation. You will be able to register yourself and one guest.
Orientation CommunicationStudents who pre-register to attend Transfer Orientation will receive session information by email. All email communication will be sent to the student’s UT Dallas email address. Information will not be sent to a student’s personal email account. The final email with the one day temporary parking permit, campus map and orientation details will be sent one week before your orientation session to the students UT Dallas email address.
Academic Advising and Class Registration
All new UT Dallas students are required to attend Transfer Orientation. Orientation will include a group academic advising session, in which you will be given specific degree plan and registration information. Students can register for classes after they are admitted to UT Dallas, complete a Pre-Transfer Orientation activity, attend Transfer Orientation, and have all holds removed.
Some offices may require you to meet with academic advising after the Transfer Orientation date in order to register for classes. Be sure to check with your academic advising office regarding appointment availability and walk-in opportunities. Students are encouraged to register for Transfer Orientation as soon as possible to ensure the best possible class selection.
Spring 2017 course schedules will be available on Monday, October 31, 2016.
Holds on Your Account
Holds on your account may prevent you from registering for classes. New UT Dallas students have holds to attend Transfer Orientation. Holds can take several business days to resolve. Please aim to have all holds removed one week prior to attending Transfer Orientation. Additional holds with other departments could also prevent you from registering. For details about remaining holds, check your student account at galaxy.utdallas.edu.
Examples of new transfer student holds are listed below. Students should review their personalized list of holds and “To Do List” items in Orion:
- Transfer Orientation — register to attend Transfer Orientation (see top of page).
- Application Fee — contact Admission and Enrollment Services.
- TSI — this hold will be discussed with your academic advisor at transfer orientation.
- Cannot Register Online — this hold will be discussed with your academic advisor at transfer orientation.
- Bacterial Meningitis — contact the Registrar. Please note that this hold can take several business days to resolve. Students should resolve this hold as soon as possible.
- Int'l Hold: ISSO — Students who have this hold will attend an International Orientation. Please contact the International Center as soon as possible.
- TB Test — contact the Student Health Center. Please note that this hold can take several business days to resolve. Students should resolve this hold as soon as possible.
Financial Aid cannot process an award until you are admitted to UT Dallas. It is recommended for you to submit the FAFSA and all paperwork at least two weeks before the deadline. Students should also check their "To Do List" through Orion Self-Service for any outstanding documents.
New Student Financial Aid Priority Processing Deadlines:
Spring 2017 - October 15, 2016
Summer 2017 -TBD
Fall 2017 -TBD
The priority deadline for the TEXAS Grant and the Texas Top 10 Percent Scholarship is March 15.
Students who do not meet the priority deadlines indicated above risk not being considered for financial aid programs that are subject to annual appropriations. You will still be considered for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Direct Stafford Loan and for dependent students, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
Students may still complete a FAFSA or TASFA if you do not meet the priority deadline. However, FAFSA and TASFA applications must be applications must be submitted at least three weeks before the end of the term in which you are enrolled to allow time for processing.
For more information, contact your Financial Aid counselor.
View the Fall 2015 Transfer Orientation Slideshow (pdf, 125MB).