Earth Week - April 22-26, 2019
Earth Week Fun Facts
- 2018 marked the seventh annual UT Dallas Earth Week. #utdearthweek
- Volunteers donated 359.75 hours and $8,882.23 of volunteer time during Earth Week 2018.
- Earth Week 2018 events and service opportunities engaged 854 students in 18 events with 17 community partners, 16 campus departments, and 10 student organizations.
- Earth Fair is the largest event during Earth Week and features an array of student and community focused green initiatives.
- UT Dallas has a certified monarch waystation on campus. Butterfly Flutterby, established during Earth Week in spring 2015, give students the opportunity to enjoy maintaining the butterfly habitat year-round
UT Dallas Goes Green!
- On campus composting operations collect all our landscape waste and turn it into compost. #soilhappens
- UT Dallas is certified as a Tree Campus USA through the Arbor Day Foundation.
- More than 1,200,000 million plastic bottles have been saved by students using campus’ 32 water bottle filling stations.
- Over 230,000 straws were used at Dining Hall West just last year. As a result, UT Dallas Dining has gone "strawless" in effort to promote sustainable dining choices.
- Since October 2016, the Sustainability Office has recycled over 2,000 lbs. of ink cartridges and toners.
- Through the Office of Student Volunteerism, year-round "green" events are hosted at the UT Dallas Community Garden, Butterfly Flutterby, Adopt-a-Highway, and Operation Upcycle series.
Do you have questions or want to be a part of Earth Week? Contact the OSV if you would like to get involved!
Each year, the UT Dallas community comes together to celebrate sustainability and environmental practices through interactive and educational events and programs during Earth Week. With the assistance of valued partners, Earth Week is brought to UT Dallas by the Office of Student Volunteerism and the Office of Sustainability.
Want to know more about Earth Week? Learn about the impact UT Dallas made and get highlights by viewing or downloading the Earth Week 2018 Program Summary.
Earth Week 2019 Event Schedule
A complete list of Earth Week 2019 events and festivities are listed below. Click on the event title to learn more about each offering.
Monday, April 22
Free Gardening Workshop
Option A: 9-10:30 a.m., Meet at SSA Lobby - Registration opens April 1.
Option B: 1-2:30 p.m., Meet at SSA Lobby - Registration opens April 1.
Kick off Earth Week by putting your green thumb forward as you learn the benefits of community greening and organic gardening.
Co-sponsored by Facilities Management
Tuesday, April 23
eARTh-a-rama: Every Litter Bit Hurts - Registration opens April 1.
11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., SSA 12.471
Help reduce litter creation by painting paperweights to be handed out to Earth Fair booth holders.
Wednesday, April 24
Operation Upcycle - Registration opens April 1.
10 a.m.-12 p.m., Galaxy Rooms A & B
Make plastic fantastic by weaving plastic bags into jump ropes that will be donated to a Healthy Zone school.
Thursday, April 25
Pop Up Farmers' Market
10 a.m.-2 p.m., The Plinth
Discover fresh treats, cooking demonstrations and recipes! Food is available for purchase.
Sponsored by UT Dallas Dining
11a.m.-1 p.m., Student Union Mall
Celebrate Earth Day with music, free pollinator-inspired food, and good clean, green fun with various campus and community partners.
Friday, April 26
Butterfly Flutterby - Registration opens April 1.
9-11 a.m., Monarch Waystation
Help maintain UTD’s hotspot for Monarch Butterflies by planting, sowing seeds, and weeding the waystation.
Co-sponsored by Facilities Management
Trade-In, Trade-Up, Recycle
April 10-26, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Trade-In your old device or Recycle eWaste at the UTD Tech Store or the Earth Fair for credit to use toward a new one! Contact Braina Leadingham with questions.
2018 Campus and Community Partners