File for Spring 2016 Elections
Deadline: Friday, March 11 at 12 p.m.
Current UT Dallas students may file for spring elections by completing the following:
- Submit an Online Application Form via OrgSync.
- Print and return the following forms to the Student Government office (SU Suite 2.4):
- Attend the mandatory pre-voting meeting for candidates Friday, March 11 at 1 p.m. or 1:30 p.m. in the Galaxy Rooms on the second floor of the Student Union. If you cannot attend, you must meet with the SG Advisor before this meeting.
Senate Seats Available
- Sophomores - 4
- Juniors - 9
- Seniors - 11
- Graduates - 17
Voting will be held online from Wednesday, March 23 at 9 a.m. through Friday, March 25 at 4 p.m.
Election results will be announced on Friday, March 25 at 6 p.m.
Run-off election (if needed) will be held Wednesday, March 30 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Candidates must submit a Financial Disclosure Form by Tuesday, March 29 at 4 p.m. to avoid infractions charged to your UT Dallas student account.
All campaign material must be removed by Wednesday, March 30 at 12 p.m. Failure to do so will result in a fine to your student account.
If victorious, candidates must accept their senate seat in SU Suite 2.4 by Wednesday, March 30 at 4 p.m. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of seat.
Duties and Responsibilities
By joining Student Government, officers and senators are expected to:
- Attend all senate meetings (Tuesdays at 5:15 p.m.)
- Represent and be in contact with constituents.
- Be present for all senate-sponsored events, including, but not limited to, Student Government booths, campus-wide community service projects, mandatory events and retreats.
- Perform all duties outlined in the UT Dallas Student Government Bylaws.
Senators are required to be a member of a senate standing committee and attend all regular committee meetings in addition to all regular senate meetings.
All campaign materials must be approved by either (1) Student Government advisor or (2) election board chair, before being posted or dispersed. Both can be found in the Student Union, Suite 2.4.
Copies of all campaign material, other than posters, must be filed with Student Government prior to being posted.
All campaign materials must be posted according to University and election code policies. For more information see the Student Organization Manual.
Failure to turn in the Financial Disclosure Form by the deadline will result in an infraction. This will be strictly enforced. Student account will be charged.
Each campus organization may endorse only one candidate or party for a senate seat in each grade level, in the form of a written record filed with the Student Government office.
A candidate may have as many endorsements as desired. Each organization is allowed one endorsement poster regardless of the number of actual endorsements it makes.
Complete the Candidate Endorsement Form.
Campaign material in the form of buttons, stickers and business cards is allowed without limit. Expenditures for all such items are limited to the stipulated $500 for officer candidates, $150 for Senate candidates. All such items need to be approved and filed by Student Government.
- Only currently enrolled students may vote.
- When applicable, campaigning cannot take place inside the building where voting is held.
- All candidates and election procedures followed are bound by Student Development Rules and the SG Election Code.
- Copies of all campaign materials must be filed and approved with Student Government before they are distributed.
- Complaints must be filed in writing at the Student Government office, SU 2.4.
Election Board Chair
2016 Dates and Deadlines
|Senate Filing Begins||Monday, Feb. 22
|Campaign Orientation Meeting||Friday, March 4
1 p.m. or 1:30 p.m.
Phoenix Room, SU 2.508
Answer questions and review the Election Code with potential candidates. If unable to attend, contact Election Board Chair by Thursday, March 3 at 12 p.m.
|Senate Filing Ends||Friday, March 11
|Forms Due:||Friday, March 11
|Mandatory Pre-Voting Meeting for Candidates||Friday, March 11
12-1 p.m. or 4-5 p.m.
SU Galaxy Rooms
If candidate has class or another obligation, then meet with the SG Advisor before this meeting.
|Candidate Debate||Tuesday, March 22
The Plinth (Rain location: SU Galaxy Rooms)
|Meet the Candidates||Tuesday, March 22
6:15 p.m. following SG senate meeting
Faculty/Staff Dining Hall
|Elections||Starts Wednesday, March 23 at 9 a.m.
Ends Friday, March 25 at 4 p.m.
|Results Announced||Friday, March 25
Clark Center 1.120
|Financial Disclosure Form Due||Tuesday, March 29
No exceptions, to avoid infractions.
|Run-off Election (if necessary)|| Wednesday, March 30
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Results announced by Election Board at 5 p.m.
|Campaign Materials Removed||Wednesday, March 30
No exceptions, to avoid infractions.
|Accept Senate Seat||Wednesday, March 30
Submit in writing at the Student Government office SU 2.4, no exceptions.