Next: Rating Curve (Discharge vs.
Up: Stage-Storage-Discharge Relationships
Previous: Discharge vs. Outlet Type
- For channels, the stage-discharge curve is called a
rating curve (Fig. 10).
- Such a curve is generated for all stream gauging stations
(e.g. USGS stations).
- The form of the curve can be approximated in various ways,
usually termed the Convex Method (i.e. to approximate the
typical shape of rating curves)
- One approximation, the kinematic wave method assumes
shallow overland flow (also applicable for wide channels)
- This is the simplest channel routing method used in WMS
- When a rating curve is unavailable, one can be estimated using
GEOS 5313 Lecture Notes, Spring 2007
Dr. T. Brikowski, UTD. All rights reserved.