Urgent Message

Coronavirus Updates

For the most up-to-date news, please see the University’s official COVID‑19 information webpage.

minimize urgent message

The information on this page is subject to change daily. If there is new information or changes that need to be made, please contact [email protected].

Campus Operations

How do I reach the Office of Admission and Enrollment?

While campus may be closed, undergraduate admission counselors and staff are ready to help. Please email [email protected] or visit the counselor locator page to find your undergraduate admission counselor. For more information, including scheduling pre-admission advising appointments and taking virtual tours, go to the Virtual Resources webpage.

For graduate applications support, please contact the graduate departments directly.

What areas of campus are closed?

Access to the Eugene McDermott Library, the Activity Center, Rec Center West and most other academic, administrative and research buildings is restricted to employees who are necessary to maintain our physical plant and research enterprise and to provide essential support services. These access restrictions are in place until further notice.

Is the UT Dallas Police Department still operating on campus?

Yes. In an emergency, call 911. For nonemergency situations, patrol and dispatch can be reached at 972-883-2222. They will perform building entry assists for those who are authorized.

Are the University Bookstore and Tech Store open?

The bookstore is closed, but it is processing online orders and has extended free ground shipping for all online orders.

The Tech Store is also closed but is still processing online orders.

Is the library open?

No. Access to the library is restricted to essential employees until further notice.

How is the University handling mail services?

Until further notice, please observe the following for continuity of the Mail Services and Central Receiving Department:

  • Minimum staff will be available in the warehouse to accept packages and mail deliveries.
  • All incoming mail will be sorted by department and stacked inside the warehouse.
  • Key department staff can pick up mail and parcels at the warehouse (must show Comet Card).

Mail Service and Central Receiving is located in the Service Building (SB 1.2). For all other mail and receiving concerns, please contact Central Receiving directly at [email protected] or 972-883-2779.

What steps are being taken to clean and disinfect the campus?

Facilities Management staff members are conducting thorough deep cleanings throughout all open areas of campus, paying special attention to high-traffic areas such as the McDermott Library, classrooms, restrooms, hallways, as well as Dining Hall West and the Food Court/Comet Café areas in the Student Union.

Cleaning efforts include disinfecting and sanitizing all open surface tables and countertops, doorknobs, push plates and other high-touch objects, as well as using electrostatic cleaners that provide aerosol sanitation.

Students & Parents

What should I do if I become sick?

The Student Health Center is closed. Students may call the afterhours nurse line, 972-883-2747, to speak to a registered nurse.

If you think you’ve been exposed to the virus, please follow CDC guidelines Opens in a new tab..

If you have the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP), you have access to a nurse line and telehealth appointments. Specific information about UT SHIP can be found on the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas website.

Students who believe they have COVID-19 should notify the Dean of Students Office and their instructors. If you are living on campus, please notify a member of the University Housing staff immediately to work with you on the next steps.

What counseling resources are available?

UT Dallas is committed to its standing as a welcoming and diverse community. We encourage everyone to be mindful of the emotional and mental stress that can be caused by this evolving situation. Students may visit the Student Counseling Center website for information on how to access services. If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please call 911. If you are in crisis and need to speak to a mental health professional, call UTD TALK (972)-883-8255. There are additional links on the Helpful Links section on the main COVID-19 page.

How can I get help with online classes?

Your instructors should contact you by regarding class updates and information on how your courses will be handled online. Instructors are the best source of information about classes.

Educational Technology Services offers resources for students including software and plug-ins used in online courses.

Students can access Adobe Creative Cloud Opens in a new tab. on their personal devices for free through May 31. For more information or assistance, contact the Office of Information Technology Help Desk.

If you need assistance navigating the transition to online learning and the University resources that are available to support you, email the Graduation Help Desk.

What if I have traveled abroad or plan to travel abroad?

UT Dallas has suspended all University-related international travel and strongly discourages personal international travel. If you are returning from any international destination, you will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon your return.

How are short-term loan deadlines affected?

The third installment and short-term loan payment deadlines have been extended to April 2.

How can I apply for the emergency financial assistance? Added 3/30

If you have an immediate financial need, the Division of Student Affairs, in partnership with other University departments, established the Student Emergency Financial Assistance Fund to help students with unanticipated expenses.

I need my 1098T form to complete my income tax return. How can I get it?

1098T forms are available on the Heartland website Opens in a new tab.. Students who are unable to obtain the form through Heartland are requested to email the Bursar Office at [email protected]. We will assist you in the process or create the form.

Are campus events canceled?

Due to changes in campus operations, many events have been canceled or moved online. Please check for updates on the Comet Calendar and confirm event details with the sponsoring department.

What is the status of Comet Sports?

The American Southwest Conference has canceled all conference athletics competitions and championship events for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year. Those include events for baseball, men’s and women’s golf, softball, men’s and women’s tennis.

Will spring commencement be held?

  • Commencement will not take place as scheduled. Please watch this site and monitor your UT Dallas email for more details about rescheduling of commencement ceremonies.
  • Doctoral hooding will not take place as scheduled. Please monitor this site for more details about rescheduling.
  • Undergraduate Honors Convocation scheduled for May 11 will not take place. For further information, please check the Office of Undergraduate Education website.
  • The UT Dallas Bookstore is issuing refunds for regalia to those who anticipated participating in the Spring Commencement Ceremonies.
    • If you already purchased regalia from the UT Dallas Bookstore, you have the option of returning it for a refund, or you can save it to participate in the rescheduled ceremonies.
    • If you have not yet purchased regalia, there is plenty of stock. You can order now or delay your purchase until the dates are announced.
    • If you have already ordered PhD regalia from the UT Dallas Bookstore, contact the bookstore to cancel your order and request a refund. If you ordered regalia directly through Oak Hall, your order will be canceled. You will need to resubmit orders to participate in the rescheduled ceremonies after those dates are announced.

What dining options are available on campus? Updated 3/30

Boxed meal pick-up service is available daily at Dining Hall West at the following times:

Brunch: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.

Dinner: 4-6 p.m.

All meal plan holders as well as staff members can purchase a boxed meal to-go. Seating is not available.

The Market at Dining Hall West is open for coffee and pre-packaged items from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. 

Visit UTD Dining Services for more information.

Starship robot delivery is unavailable.

Are University Recreation Facilities open?

No. Access to the Activity Center and Rec Center West is restricted to essential employees until further notice.

Is the University Career Center open?

The University Career Center’s office is closed, but virtual appointments and events can be found in Handshake, and all the office’s online resources are still available.

Students in the Naveen Jindal School of Management can access online career resources on the HireJSOM website.

Grades Added 3/31

Can I choose to stay with the letter grades for this semester?

You do not have to choose to stay with the letter grades because it is the default grading system. You can choose credit/no credit (CR/NC) or pass/fail (P/F) options instead of the letter grades, but decisions will need to be made by Thursday, April 30, at 11:59 p.m.

Will I have to approximate what I think I’ll get in the course before submitting the CR/NC or P/F forms?

Yes. You might not yet know what your final grade would be, but, by April 30, you should have enough information to decide whether this option is better for you. 

If I decide to choose the CR/NC or P/F option before April 30, can I change my mind and go back to the letter grades?

No. Take your time and carefully weigh your options and your courses before making your decision by the deadline.

If I decide to drop a course instead of choosing the CR/NC or P/F, do I still need to complete the form?

Yes. Complete the Registration, Add, Drop and Withdrawal form. Sign it, take a picture of it or scan it, then email it to your advisor. The photograph or scanned document needs to be legible. You may also send an email request to your academic advisor via UT Dallas email.

How do I change my class to pass/fail or credit/no credit?

The process to make these changes currently is being developed. Check back soon for more details.

Credit/No Credit Grading Questions for Undergraduate Students Added 3/31

How do I know if the CR/NC is the right option for me?

  • Only grades of C or better are counted as credit. If you earned a C- or below, it may not be the right option because these grades are not eligible for credit.  You will need to consider this option carefully. 
  • There may be financial aid implications, so students should email the Office of Financial Aid to obtain additional information.
  • This option also may affect eligibility for honors.
  • Reach out to your advisors to get additional information. They will help you to make a good decision.

Can I request CR/NC for all my classes or does it apply only to specific courses?

Students can request CR/NC for any or all of their courses.

Is there an hour limit?


Will courses taken as CR/NC still count toward my degree?

Courses for which you receive CR will count toward your degree plan. Courses for which NC is earned will not count.

How will the CR/NC option affect my GPA?

Courses taken on a credit/no credit basis will not be used to calculate a student’s GPA.

How will the CR/NC option affect eligibility for honors?

Students should select courses for the credit/no credit option carefully as it may affect eligibility for honors. Students need at least 45 UT Dallas graded semester credit hours to be eligible to graduate with Latin and/or Collegium V Honors. All students must have completed a minimum of 30 graded semester credit hours to qualify for Major Honors.

Can you clarify what the letter grades are for undergraduate students?

Yes. The Undergraduate Catalog has a chart listing the grades. If you choose the CR/NC option, then grades of C or above can be converted to CR. If you earned a C- or below, these letter grades will be considered as a NC.

How will CR/NC courses affect my GPA related to meeting satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid eligibility?

Students on financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) warning or suspension due to GPA requirements should email the Office of Financial Aid regarding the impact of a CR/NC selection.

What does “for students graduating in the spring, the CR/NC limit is suspended” mean?

Before the suspension for spring 2020, the CR/NC limit for undergraduate students had been limited to 12 hours or 20% of UT Dallas upper-division coursework, whichever is smaller. This limit will not be in effect for students who elect this option in spring 2020.

Will choosing CR/NC affect my applications for graduate or professional schools?

There may be long-term implications, and students should consult their advisors for additional information.

If I earn credit, will that mean I meet the minimum grade required for prerequisites?

Yes. Your CR grade will be counted toward the minimum grade for prerequisites.

How will CR/NC affect my hours earned?

Courses for which you receive CR will count toward your degree plan. Courses for which NC is earned will not count.

How will CR/NC affect my hours earned toward meeting the academic requirements of my scholarship program?

Please consult financial aid for the implications on scholarship eligibility.

I am repeating a course this semester to improve my grade from my first attempt. Can I choose CR/NC to improve my grade?

You will not improve your GPA if you choose the CR/NC option because CR/NC grades are not calculated in your GPA.

Pass/Fail Grading Questions for Graduate Students Added 3/31

How do I know if the P/F is the right option for me?

  • Only grades of C or above are counted as pass. If you earned a grade below C, these letter grades are not considered as a pass. You will need to consider this option carefully. A grade of F is calculated into your GPA.
  • There may be financial aid implications, so students should email the Office of Financial Aid to obtain additional information.
  • Reach out to your advisors to get additional information. They will help you make the correct decision.

Since I am graduating in May 2020, is it possible for me to elect into P/F grading for my classes?

Yes. Students may choose the P/F grading on a course-by-course basis for spring 2020. 

How will the P/F option affect my GPA?

A grade of P does not produce grade points. You still earn credit for a course with a grade of P, but it won’t affect your GPA. On the other hand, a grade of F is a failing grade and will affect your GPA.

Could TA/RAs keep their positions if they choose to switch to the P/F option?

Yes, as long the TA/RAs keep their full load and keep the overall GPA requirement of 3.0 or better. The P/F switch will not change the GPA unless they receive an F or if they are placed on probation, which will affect their status.

How will P/F courses affect my GPA related to meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards for financial aid eligibility?

Students on financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) warning or suspension due to GPA requirements should email the Office of Financial Aid regarding the impact of a P/F selection.

Can you clarify what the letter grades are for graduate students?

Yes. The Graduate Catalog has a chart listing the grades. If you choose the P/F option, all grades C and above are considered as a pass. If you earned a grade below C, it may not be the right option because these letter grades will be considered as a fail. A grade of F is calculated into your GPA.

University Housing

Are students required to move out of housing on campus?

University Housing will work to accommodate those students and families during this transition and understands that not all residents will be able to meet the deadlines for moving out.

  • Students without suitable alternative housing should contact University Housing to request to stay through the end of the spring semester, Monday, May 11.
  • Residence Hall and Canyon Creek Heights residents unable to move out will receive an email from University Housing detailing how to schedule an appointment to access your suite/apartment for move out.
  • Residents of University Village may continue to access their apartments as usual through the end of the semester, Monday, May 11.
  • NOTE: This does not pertain to University Village residents who have renewed their housing agreements and are staying through the summer.
  • When moving out, University Village residents should contact University Housing staff to check out and return their keys.
  • NOTE: Until you move out, University Housing is committed to keeping your belongings safe. Suites/apartments will be locked, and only authorized University Housing personnel will have access.

Will shelter-in-place orders affect my ability to move out of on-campus housing?

No. Moving is considered an essential activity and therefore permitted under the shelter-in-place directives. 

Will the University provide refunds for unused housing and dining expenses?

Residents who move out before the end of the spring semester will receive a reimbursement or credit for unused housing and dining expenses. The details of how these refunds will be processed are still being developed. University Housing is focused on safely moving out residents and on processing requests to remain in housing, and appreciates your patience.

When is the last day to vacate housing for the spring semester?

Monday, May 11, is the deadline for moving out of housing for the spring semester. However, the circumstances of the COVID-19 outbreak are highly dynamic, and University Housing may need to make adjustments to this date. The safety of the University community is the highest priority. University Housing will communicate any changes to policies to residents in a timely fashion.

Faculty & Staff

What should I do if I become sick?

Faculty and staff experiencing symptoms of illness should stay home.

If you are concerned about the availability of sick leave, consult with your supervisor, who may then reach out to the Office of Human Resources for guidance.

If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, please follow the steps outlined by the CDC Opens in a new tab..

Will UT SELECT and UT CONNECT provide coverage for COVID-19?

  • The UT SELECT, and UT CONNECT plan will not require prior authorization and will waive member copayments, coinsurance and deductibles associated with testing for COVID-19 when medically necessary and consistent with CDC guidance.
  • With regard to treatment for COVID-19, UT SELECT and UT CONNECT will cover medically necessary services consistent with the terms of each plan, including physician services, hospitalization and emergency services.
  • A primary care physician copayment will apply for medically necessary treatment delivered to a patient who may be quarantined under CDC guidelines in a setting other than inpatient.
  • For specific questions about your UT SELECT coverage, members should call your Blue Cross and Blue Shield health advocate at 866-882-2034. For UT CONNECT, please contact the CONNECT customer service team at 888-399-8889.
  • Virtual doctor visits through MDLIVE Opens in a new tab. continue to be available with no out-of-pocket costs and can be used when appropriate.
  • Any person experiencing illness should contact their doctor or MDLIVE.
  • Should members need to access an early refill of prescription medication, they may do so through their UT SELECT and UT CONNECT prescription benefits. Express Scripts, our pharmacy benefit manager, has lifted the “refill too soon” limitations to accommodate early refills for prescription medications up to a 90-day supply.
  • All other UT Benefits programs will continue to operate according to the plan specifications outlined on the benefits website Opens in a new tab.. This includes dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance. For disability and life insurance purposes, COVID-19 will be considered just as any other illness.

For the latest updates, go to The University of Texas System Office of Employees Benefits COVID-19 webpage Opens in a new tab..

Are counseling services available?

Benefits-eligible employees have access to Deer Oaks EAP Services Opens in a new tab., an employee assistance program provider. The EAP benefit covers up to seven confidential, short-term counseling sessions per person, per issue, per year.

Call 888-993-7650 for more information or a referral.

What technical resources are available for faculty and staff?

The Office of Information Technology has a Remote Work Resource Page with information on preparing to work remotely, and the Office of Information Security offers tips for working remotely.

For faculty, a web conference tool called Blackboard Collaborate is available on eLearning. For tutorials, visit this playlist Opens in a new tab.. If you need assistance, email [email protected].

OIT also will provide online training for Microsoft Teams and Office 365. Register for trainings to stay up-to-date and connected.

How can I reach the Office of Development and Alumni Relations?

If you need to deliver a check to the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, a member of the team will be in the office on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to noon to accept donations. Call 972-883-3958, and someone will assist you.

If you need to reach a member of the team, you may contact them directly or leave a message at 972-883-2295. Messages will be checked and responded to regularly.

Can I still submit purchases?

EProcurement continues to be active and running. Please submit all purchases via eProcurement/Jaggaer on Galaxy where possible and send any purchasing questions to [email protected].

If you have a purchase related to COVID-19, please note COVID-19 in the Business Justification/Internal Notes on the requisition and check the new COVID-19 box on the requisition. For assistance, email [email protected].

What professional development resources are available?

The Office of Human Resources has compiled a list of free professional development resources that may be helpful for those who are working remotely. They can be found on the Administration Continuity Page.


Current Research Operations

Will I continue to have access to my research building?

  • In response to local shelter in place guidance, we are rapidly moving toward a maintenance-only mode of operation. Access is restricted to personnel who are necessary to maintain our research enterprise and to provide essential support services. These access restrictions are in place until further notice.
  • When entering research buildings, all personnel must sign in with the Public Safety Officer (PSO) and present their building credentials. Personnel must sign out upon leaving the building.
  • PIs and supervisors should be setting the expectation that all personnel work remotely, unless there is a critical task that must be performed in the lab or from the office. Please refer to the main COVID-19 page for more information.

Where can I find agency specific information and guidance regarding COVID-19?

What if I or any of the members in my research group are unable to come to campus due to reasons related to COVID-19?

  • Anyone experiencing symptoms of illness should stay home. The University will make accommodations for students, faculty and staff concerned about exposure to COVID-19 because of their health, age, or other factors or who are unable to return to campus due to self-isolation. Personnel needing modified or flexible work alternatives should contact their supervisor or laboratory PI. This includes graduate students in research laboratories who need accommodations. If laboratory personnel (graduate students, postdocs, technicians) do not have a reason to be on site at the University laboratories for mission critical data collection, then they are encouraged to work from home.

What about my research travel? What is allowed by UTD and how is canceled travel handled on sponsored projects?

  • UT Dallas has suspended all University-related domestic and international travel. The University continues to strongly discourage personal international travel as well. If you are returning from any international destination, you will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon your return. Please consult with the Office of International Risk and Safety.
  • As documented in the COGR guidance Opens in a new tab., if a traveler has charged (e.g., through prepayment or a travel advance) an airline ticket or other travel cost to a sponsored project and then that trip is later canceled, the credit must accrue to the sponsored project (see 2 CFR 200.406). Some airlines are offering full refunds for trips that need to be cancelled due to COVID-19; in these instances, the refund should accrue to the grant, either directly through the institution’s travel system or via reimbursement from the traveler. If a traveler cancels a trip and accrues a credit on their personal account, the traveler should follow institutional policy for how to track and manage the credit.
  • Guidance for travelers from countries planning to visit or returning from an area with community spread of COVID-19 is available from the CDC website Opens in a new tab..

How can I support my graduate students and postdocs to continue their research? Can I still pay them on my project?

  • Principal Investigators and research managers should work with each of their students and postdoctoral trainees to develop a personalized plan that allows each person to conduct research remotely to the fullest extent possible, e.g., performing data analysis, literature review, modeling and computation, writing manuscripts and applications, and planning. If the individual is working remotely and still contributing to a sponsored project the expense may still be charged to the sponsored project.
  • In response to local shelter in place guidance, we are rapidly moving toward a maintenance-only mode of research operations. If essential lab work continues, it is expected that standard protocols regarding social distancing, hygiene, and personal protective equipment use (as required per lab) must be followed without exception.

What guidance should I provide to the international postdocs, graduate students and researchers in my research group?

  • Due to the changing nature of U.S. immigration policy, the rapidly evolving COVID-19 outbreak and its impacts on global travel, the Office of International Risk and Safety does not recommend international travel. Please visit its website for any updated information.
  • Any students returning from international travel need to contact the Dean of Students office prior to returning to campus. A 14-day self-quarantine period will be necessary.

Can I ask for a no-cost extension from my sponsor?

  • Researchers should document the actual impact of COVID-19 on the progress of their grants to provide substantiation for any future no-cost extension request. It is not known if agencies will consider longer-than-normal no-cost extensions or multiple no-cost extensions in this situation, but no-cost extensions covered under expanded authorities will still be available for federal awards.

Can I bring visitors to UT Dallas research groups and facilities?

  • No. Please move all of your meetings and consultations online.

What guidelines apply to visiting scholars and visiting student researchers?

  • Note that UT Dallas visiting scholars and researchers on campus must follow all the University’s COVID-19 guidance, including regarding working remotely.
  • Visiting Scholars/Visiting Student Researchers scheduled to arrive on campus: Please consult with the Office of International Risk and Safety.

What about research involving human subjects?

  • Face-to-face human subject research that does not benefit the participant directly must be paused immediately. If the study design allows transitioning to an online or telecommunication medium, the Institutional Review Board (IRB) Office will accept modifications to such projects for continuation of data collection. 
  • Federal regulations state that the IRB must review and approve any changes to an approved study prior to initiation, unless it is necessary to avoid imminent hazards to subjects. The IRB Committee will work diligently to review and process protocols as expeditiously as possible.
  • The IRB staff and IRB Committee are fully operational and working remotely. All IRB email addresses continue to be monitored with the same or greater frequency. The IRB staff will be available via phone and email during normal business hours.
  • If you have questions about whether a study provides direct benefit or may require assistance with a modification request, email [email protected].

Are there special considerations for filing an invention disclosure or a request to send or receive tangible materials for my research?

  • The Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) is fully operational and is working remotely. Complete the Technology Disclosure Form and submit it to [email protected].
  • Material transfer agreements for tangible materials to be sent from and to campus will continue to be negotiated and signed. It is unclear if service delivery disruptions will occur or if special measures will be taken by shipping and receiving units to manage or inspect the contents of shipments.

What guidelines do I or any members of my research group have to follow before engaging in COVID-19 research?

  • All principal investigators must register their protocols with the Institutional Biosafety and Chemical Safety Committee (IBCC) prior to performing any coronavirus research or work on campus (including to help state and federal agencies to screen patient samples). This includes requesting or accepting COVID-19 samples (patient or otherwise).

Planning for Research Continuity

What time frame should I plan for, and what assumptions should I make?

  • In response to local shelter in place guidance, we are rapidly moving toward a maintenance-only mode of operation.
  • We are asking research groups to notify the Office of Research regarding the status of your lab. Following notification, our safety team will then assist you in scheduling time to complete necessary processes to safely shut down and secure your on-campus spaces in accordance with your research continuity plans.
  • In order to identify which research groups have already suspended on-campus operations, and those that still need to finalize shutdown, the Office of Research is asking faculty members to complete this survey. Please complete only one survey for each PI/research group.
  • This maintenance-only mode of operations will be in effect beginning April 1, 2020, and is anticipated to last through April 30, 2020, subject to renewal.
  • Please review these Laboratory Shutdown Considerations.

If access to my on-campus lab space is limited, who can help me suspend my on-campus operations?

  • Our Research, Campus, and Environmental Safety group will be actively working to support safe and organized closure of on-campus research operations. Additionally, our safety and vivarium support staff will remain on site to ensure that core facilities are operational.

How will the University decide when to end the curtailment of research activities?

  • UT Dallas will continue to work with state and local health officials to carefully monitor the situation.

My lab is engaged in critical research that cannot be moved off-campus. What do I do?

  • The Office of Research recognizes that we have groups with ongoing essential research activities involving time course studies that incorporate prior work over some time span, or COVID-19 related science and engineering endeavors responsive to the current crisis. As a result, the Office of Research will implement a systematic process for granting limited access to research labs and facilities to accomplish essential research activities. Research groups can notify the Office of Research of their lab shutdown status, and request limited access to on-campus research facilities, using this form.

What steps should PIs, research managers, and laboratory Responsible Parties (RP’s) take to create a plan for research continuity?

  • Each PI, research manager, and RP is accountable for developing and documenting their own laboratory-specific Continuity Plan, and ensuring that plan is communicated to lab members. These individual plans supplement broader continuity planning efforts undertaken by departments within the University, and the UTD Office of Emergency Management and Continuity Planning (OEMCP).
  • The Office of Research and OEMCP provide the following resources to assist laboratory personnel in developing their plans:
      • A short, INTERIM continuity plan template was provided to PIs on March 13, 2020. Please contact [email protected] for additional assistance.

Who can help me with planning?

  • Research, Campus, and Environmental Safety ([email protected]) can help with interim plan development and guidance, including:
    • Risk assessment to identify those activities that may pose a hazard when unattended.
    • Safeguards to implement if high risk work will continue.
    • Handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
    • Questions relating to PPE, disinfection, and cleaning.

How should I prioritize my research activities to maximize continuity?

The following rubric can be found in the UT Dallas Continuity Planning and Recovery Guide for Laboratories and Research Facilities:

Priority Rating Importance Recovery Time
Critical Function directly impacts the life, health, safety, or security of the UT Dallas community and stopping would have significant consequences. < 4 hours
High Function must continue at normal or increased level. Pausing for more than 24 hours may cause significant consequences or serious harm to business operations, upstream and downstream dependent organizations or units, revenue and finances, reputation, or other core mission services. < 24 hours
Medium Function must be continued if at all possible, perhaps in reduced mode. Stopping for more than one week may cause major disruption to business operations, upstream and downstream dependent organizations or units, revenue and finances, or other core mission services. < 1 week
Low Function could be suspended for up to one month without causing significant disruption to business operations, upstream and downstream dependent organizations or units, revenue and finances, or other core mission services. < 1 month
Deferrable Function may pause and resume when conditions permit. Deferring this function for more than one month may cause slight disruption to business operations, upstream and downstream dependent organizations or units, revenue and finances, or other core mission services. > 1 month

I rely on a core facility. What continuity plans are in place for core facilities?

  • Research core facilities (RCF) have developed continuity plans for the facilities, but specifics for accessibility may differ. Contact RCF director Jimmy Gowrisanker or individual core managers about their plans and how to maintain your access.

What about accessing restricted or secure data from off campus?

  • These will need to be addressed on a case-by-case basis dependent on usage or contractual obligations. If you are unsure, please email [email protected] with your project ID and your intended use case for more information.

What if the “worst case” occurs and I am unable to maintain my laboratory operations?

  • Preparation now will help mitigate the impact if it becomes necessary to close out all of your laboratory operations. Please consider the prerequisites for this and their impacts. Guidance for safe laboratory close-out can be found here.

What must research laboratories do to prepare for the care of research animals in case of disruption?

  • Laboratories should be prepared to ramp down, curtail, or postpone animal research experiments if and when the need arises. For ongoing experiments, please limit or discontinue removing animals from LARC-managed facilities. The LARC will continue daily animal care in the vivarium and satellite housing rooms (including regular cage cleaning, feed and water assurance, and health checks). If you have animals in these areas, LARC staff will continue to care for them.

How will animal care proceed if access is limited?

  • The LARC expects to continue to provide regular care to LARC-maintained animals. The LARC has developed plans to respond to a variety of curtailment or reduced staffing scenarios, and will communicate directly with relevant PIs if campus circumstances change. Please discuss plans with LARC leadership if you have questions.